Proper Protocol for a 2015 with D1 offers??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 3, 2012
Probably DD's biggest fear of early verbal is that pretty much shuts the door for her to get a shot at a big time program. Not sure if she would be able to play at that top elite level or even saying she can, but from what I've heard most coaches honor those early verbals and stay away from kids that have verballed to another school. So how would a kid know if they had any interest from those programs? Also, if a lot of the better programs are already offering 2015 and even 2016, would there be any money left for the class of 2015 after 2013 ASA Nationals, or would any offers in that timeframe be significantly less from a % standpoint?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If Amy and Atlantabel are right then she can verbal now and if something better comes along she can break her word and trade up.

I am new to the softball recruiting world, but have been following college football recruiting for a couple of years and there are quite a few players who change their minds and switch their commitments. It does not endear them to the decommitted schools fans, but they seem to get over it after a couple of months. Also, in college football most commitments are from seniors, so there is less time for situations to change vs. a 10th grader with 2+ years of transition before she arrives on a college campus.

Oct 14, 2008
Probably DD's biggest fear of early verbal is that pretty much shuts the door for her to get a shot at a big time program. Not sure if she would be able to play at that top elite level or even saying she can, but from what I've heard most coaches honor those early verbals and stay away from kids that have verballed to another school. So how would a kid know if they had any interest from those programs? Also, if a lot of the better programs are already offering 2015 and even 2016, would there be any money left for the class of 2015 after 2013 ASA Nationals, or would any offers in that timeframe be significantly less from a % standpoint?

I would not be to concerned with her not getting other offers from bigger schools if her position is needed, There is always cut throat back room whispers at the D1 level for the better players. At 15 it is tough for a kid to decide what to wear to school much less where to go to school so I commend the coaches for letting her look around to see what else is out there.

Mine verbal ed early also, and chose mid over major because of the money issue. The mids simply offered a better deal that schools in the SEC or Big 10 did.

Something to consider the roll over rate for college coaches is about 5 years or so, at her age that coach may or may not be there when it comes time to sign. Keep that thought in the back of your mind.

You and her will have a better grasp of where she wants to go once she gets on campus and takes a visit. Once they find the right campus it just seems to click.

On the down side of money. no matter how well the college pays make sure that she makes sure its the right fit. all the money in the world is useless if shes 4 or more hours from home and calls wanting to come home every night.

Congratulations to your dd and your family and good luck.

Tim

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Don't overlook the JCs. I really like most of the community colleges and a good athlete can go almost for free.

Mine will sign January 15th for Juco. Was the best "fit" for her goal of becoming a Paramedic and then eventually a flight paramedic or flight nurse on the wings of life.......later on if she chooses.

Largest Juco in the state, and just down the road. Full ride that will cost me $20 a year for a parking pass. Pretty good softball program for a Juco, team has girls from Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas. Coach seems really nice.

My DD and her best friend are going through the program together. ( her mom already is a flight medic in Memphis ) My best friend is the senior medic in our county and has stated he can hire her soon as she gets her EMT licence while she continues her education for the medic license.

So school will be vertually free, and a pretty much guaranteed job after the exams. Can't beat that with a stick. :)

Apr 6, 2012
If Amy and Atlantabel are right then she can verbal now and if something better comes along she can break her word and trade up.

It's not something you want to do but it does happen. I wouldn't make that a strategy. The softball world is small

Dec 3, 2012
That is a very good point about the coaches being there. Both have been very successful at the current schools. One has been there over 25 years and rumors of retirement have been around a while. (School AD assured us that offer would still stand if there was a coaching change) and the other isn't from the area he is currently coaching but has been there 7 or 8 years and won the conference 3 years in a row....I can see better offers possibly coming his way. We didn't ask about that on the visit to that school.

I have heard the same thing about the money issue with the majors....and that our in state flagship Big Ten school very rarely offers instate girls as much as West Coast kids....
I would not be to concerned with her not getting other offers from bigger schools if her position is needed, There is always cut throat back room whispers at the D1 level for the better players. At 15 it is tough for a kid to decide what to wear to school much less where to go to school so I commend the coaches for letting her look around to see what else is out there.

Mine verbal ed early also, and chose mid over major because of the money issue. The mids simply offered a better deal that schools in the SEC or Big 10 did.

Something to consider the roll over rate for college coaches is about 5 years or so, at her age that coach may or may not be there when it comes time to sign. Keep that thought in the back of your mind.

You and her will have a better grasp of where she wants to go once she gets on campus and takes a visit. Once they find the right campus it just seems to click.

On the down side of money. no matter how well the college pays make sure that she makes sure its the right fit. all the money in the world is useless if shes 4 or more hours from home and calls wanting to come home every night.

Congratulations to your dd and your family and good luck.

Tim

Apr 1, 2010
My husband went to a JuCo and after he had done his two years, he went to transfer to a 4-year state school (same state). However, they only accepted some of his credits and he had to start as a sophomore rather than as a junior. A friend's husband got a job and left his 4-year school a few credits shy of graduation. When he went back to take his last few classes and get his diploma, they informed him that many of his credits had "expired" and were no longer good.

From our experiences, we're going to tell our daughter to find a strong 4-year school and stay there until she graduates. Switching majors is ok if she can catch up with summer school courses (which is what I did), but no transferring schools and no sabbaticals if she can possibly help it.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2012
DD is signed up for a Big Ten Camp in January. She just got an email yesterday from the asst coach inviting her to a team softball day after camp campus visit on the Monday following the camp. She would have a meeting with the head coach, watch team scrimmage, have lunch, meet with academic advisors etc. all on the agenda. Her other two visits she was the only player on campus. I'm guessing from the context it was sent to more than one player, (but sent to her name in letter) and they had a limited # of girls invited I'm thinking and want a reply back in the next two weeks. Is this a normal type of unofficial visit at some of the larger conference schools? I know she's excited and we are going to try to take her. So far they have only seen video of her, but know she has a couple other offers I think. Anyone shed any light on this type of visit?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish