Proper Protocol for a 2015 with D1 offers??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 3, 2012
I have a 2015 daughter with 2 offers to strong softball D1 programs. Both coaches have told her to keep looking around to ensure their school is the best fit for her before she commits to them or anywhere else. The offers both came in September of this year. One of the coaches wants her to call them a couple of times a month and is a little more concerned about the timeframe of her verbal than the other coach.

We kind of feel that they'll both be putting more pressure on her by mid next summer if not earlier. We're hoping she can make it through the summer to possibly get some more looks by other schools she is interested in before either of these two schools gives her a firm deadline. She'll be playing in Colorado and Nationals this summer so hopefully she should be in front of quite a few other coaches.

Both coaches have expressed interest in having her attend their winter camps, however we wanted to take the time to go to other colleges to get her in front of other coaches that haven't seen her yet. These camps aren't cheap and she plays basketball so she doesn't have all winter free to go to camps every weekend. Does anyone have an opinion if she should go to other schools camps over the two that have already made her an offer. Or....should she go to the camps of the offering schools to ensure she is still in good terms in their eyes. They have followed her play a few times after the offers were made.

She has been emailing about 10-12 schools for about a year now. One of them is one that made her an offer. Should she indicate to the other schools she continues to email that she has offers on the table?

She likes both schools but wants to see some more campuses and see if other coaches might be interested also before she verbals to truly find the best fit for her. At 15 she really doesn't know what she wants to do yet as most 15 year olds don't so we are hoping they won't press her to verbal until at least after colleges can contact her directly.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Congratulations on your DD getting two offers! I am just getting starting in the recruiting process, so I do not have much insight, other than I keep emphasizing to my DD to choose a school that is right for her and her academic endeavors, not the one that gives her the best chance to play in the WCWS.

Since schools are not allowed to contact your DD directly, how did they extend the offers - through her TB coach? HS Coach? Pitching coach? Hitting coach?

If your DD does not have a conflict and is able to attend, I would recommend she participates in the camps of the two schools that have offered her. It would be a great experience to get on campus and meet some of the girls currently on the team. Would be even better if they are overnight camps where she could stay in the dorms.

Obviously the biggest question should be does she want to go to these schools...and no I don't mean softball...I mean do they fit her other criteria, which begs the question have you both sat down and had a blunt conversation about her needs and your financial ability to help her in any way.

She needs to think about...What majors is she interest in pursuing, how close or far away from home is she comfortable with, big school or small school, big city or quite college town

You need to think about...if she holds out for a school she does not get a full ride to can you help pay, is she academically strong enough to get a scholarship that would help out, are there other scholarship avenues she has available (basketball or other extra curricular activities), does she simply have to take the best full ride offer she gets to be able to go to college

BUT...you are also right she is 15 and does not really know the answer to half these questions anyway. I would say keep the communications lines open with these schools and keep looking around (if she is getting offers already they know she is still looking) you don't really have to start worrying until schools start letting you know they a getting close to their limit or need to know something soon, which if she is a 2015 is not right now, just be glad that her talent has already been recognized and she is on "the radar" so to speak and attending the camps is an easy way to show you are interested and also learn about the environment there at the program.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2012
One is through TB and the other she has been attending camps since about the 5th/6th grade. She was at both schools for unofficials, met the team on one, met staff of schools, toured campus etc. Had a great time. Both great coaches and staffs.

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
Congratulations. This is the problem with colleges recruiting earlier and earlier. How would a 15 year old know where she wants to go. Unless she has always wanted to go to Cal, UCLA, OAK etc. It sounds like the two college coaches are being very fair in giving her time. If she is truly interested in either one or both of the offer schools she should go to their camp. It will give her a feel for the coaching style and get to know the other players. If she has her heart set on one or two different colleges I would let her attend their winter camps. If she is already getting recruited by top D1 schools then she is in a very good position. But also know that the top D1 schools want to fill the future spots. If your DD does not wish to attend either offer school then she should decline so another 2015 can accept. Good luck to your DD.

Dec 3, 2012
she will not get a full....she isn't a pitcher. We have a pretty good handle on things from a location type of school idea, just trying to dial in a kid that age to think about things that an adult does is difficult some times! We talk about this a little at a time with her so we don't burn her out on the subject. But, being her age, she doens't realize that sometime in the maybe not so distant future, they may be wanting an answer.

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
she will not get a full....she isn't a pitcher. We have a pretty good handle on things from a location type of school idea, just trying to dial in a kid that age to think about things that an adult does is difficult some times! We talk about this a little at a time with her so we don't burn her out on the subject. But, being her age, she doens't realize that sometime in the maybe not so distant future, they may be wanting an answer.

If your DD is being recruited this early then she can get a full ride. My DD is a center fielder slapper and she got a full ride. Not to a top D1 but a mid level growing program D1. Is her TB coach negotiating for her?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Welcome to difficult decisions ahead. :) For a year I thought I'd need medication to cope, mostly from my DD flip flopping every other day.

For you, yes on the "offer" camps if they are REALLY on your radar and you can financially afford to. It's like an investment.

Yes to continuing to send emails, skills vids to other colleges. Yes about being honest about the offers, but tactically leave the door open as "undecided" "major preference" you can even roll the dice a tad and say "financial commitment". ( one thing I've learned it's a offer........and you can counter to a degree )

We had a girl (15) this summer who had 3 schools chasing her after the school year. By early fall she had around 7-8 and one of the D1's gave her a deadline and 2 weeks to decide. She cried for a couple of days from all the pressure but then settled down and committed to them. It was a school she really liked, but just like your DD.........that's a huge decision to make at 15.

To add, it's a wonderful feeling once you get out of the pressure cooker and a choice is made. Unless they decide 6 months later to change their mind again. :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy