Proper Protocol for a 2015 with D1 offers??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 6, 2012
Sorry that happens in your area.

If you think it only happens in her area you are really naive. My daughter didn't have any problems, but I know people who have had problems with verbal agreements. College coaches come and go either by choice or because they are fired. A player who looks like a phenom at a young age either doesn't match up later, quits working, has her grades fall, etc. . A coach changes his/her mind. Team situations change and then another position becomes more crucial. Amy's point is keep your eyes open, be smart and know the negatives and positives of the situation.

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
If you think it only happens in her area you are really naive. My daughter didn't have any problems, but I know people who have had problems with verbal agreements. College coaches come and go either by choice or because they are fired. A player who looks like a phenom at a young age either doesn't match up later, quits working, has her grades fall, etc. . A coach changes his/her mind. Team situations change and then another position becomes more crucial. Amy's point is keep your eyes open, be smart and know the negatives and positives of the situation.

Point taken. In the five years I have been around recruiting it has not been my experience. But then NorCal is a small part of the big picture.

Dec 3, 2012
We can help pay if some needed, but with 3 kids, obviously the more $ sure helps. She is above average student and might be able to pick up a little extra academically, but not the big money a high ACT score will bring. She doesn't have to take the best offer, we are going to allow her to make the decision based on what she feels is her best fit wherever she ends up - (within reason!....not at a $45K/year school!) She realizes that more she can get is good, but its not the only determining factor.

Dec 3, 2012
The two schools right now are top mid majors.....if she commits early our fear is what happens if a major school comes along and is interested in the next 12 months. TB coordinator does a fantastic job and has many contacts, but he isn't negotiating for her.
If your DD is being recruited this early then she can get a full ride. My DD is a center fielder slapper and she got a full ride. Not to a top D1 but a mid level growing program D1. Is her TB coach negotiating for her?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
sbdad2015, it seems that academic monies often are a combination of GPA, Class Rank and ACT. My dd was very high in the first two and decent on the ACT. For most of the universities the rule seemed to be that academic monies started at 24 ACT. I know that a few had limited monies at 23 but that is rare imo. From the 24 it then grows in increments. At one institution my dd was interested in, a 26+ really was a jump in monies.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I think at this point, I would see what grades can be brought up. That would help her the most. Has she taken the ACT? At the small college that I coached at, we liked to see 25s and above. That was good enough to get $$ that didn't need to be paid back. My son had a 32 and although that got him into the school of his choice, it didn't bring as much $$ as we had hoped. But, at a smaller school that doesn't see scores in the 30s, we would have gotten more money.

Are you familiar with FASFA? (It is like an income tax form, that has to be filed.)

Cball and I were posting at the same time.

Dec 3, 2012
We have an older daughter who will be entering college next year (30 ACT!) so we are pretty up to date on most of the academic money available at most of the schools she's looking at. Unfortunately older sis is a stronger student, but hoping DD can be in that mid 20's range with good GPA and solid class rank also to get some acadeic $$ whereever she goes if needed.

sbdad2015, it seems that academic monies often are a combination of GPA, Class Rank and ACT. My dd was very high in the first two and decent on the ACT. For most of the universities the rule seemed to be that academic monies started at 24 ACT. I know that a few had limited monies at 23 but that is rare imo. From the 24 it then grows in increments. At one institution my dd was interested in, a 26+ really was a jump in monies.

Dec 3, 2012
we are familiar with FASFA....but pretty much know we aren't getting much help if any there....our federal govt seems to think that an average middle class family can afford to send 3 kids to any school they want and be able to afford it without a problem as well as still trying to live comfortably. That's another discussion for a different day! Anyway, not going to get much help there...
I think at this point, I would see what grades can be brought up. That would help her the most. Has she taken the ACT? At the small college that I coached at, we liked to see 25s and above. That was good enough to get $$ that didn't need to be paid back. My son had a 32 and although that got him into the school of his choice, it didn't bring as much $$ as we had hoped. But, at a smaller school that doesn't see scores in the 30s, we would have gotten more money.

Are you familiar with FASFA? (It is like an income tax form, that has to be filed.)

Cball and I were posting at the same time.

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
The two schools right now are top mid majors.....if she commits early our fear is what happens if a major school comes along and is interested in the next 12 months. TB coordinator does a fantastic job and has many contacts, but he isn't negotiating for her.

If Amy and Atlantabel are right then she can verbal now and if something better comes along she can break her word and trade up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish