Poor balance? Swing issue?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
You might want to rethink this belief.

If you look at enough swings, and truly remain objective, then you’ll see swings in which the lead-arm angle is increased, swings where the lead-arm angle remains fairly constant, and swings where the lead-arm angle is reduced.

If this is what you are basing your 'connection' notions on, then take note that it doesn’t pass the Hanson Principle.

Depends on where it happens Five.
Because I see arm bar as losing connection. dragging your arms behind you. Casting. hands to the ball. arm swings

But please, lets hear your connection definition.
I posted what I think is a good connection drill.
And the ops dd, is well connected, at first.

But it does not matter what I say, I will be wrong, about something.
we are winning, and hitting balls over the fences, and are having great success.
Hows your season going?

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Depends on where it happens Five.

Mann, you stated "where" in your post. See 'red' below.

My view of connection has to due with the front arm, not straightening out, as the upper turns.

The arm cannot get longer, and you must create a good pivot point, by using the front arm properly.

That's why I suggested that you consider rethinking things. Because if you look at enough swings, and truly remain objective, then you’ll see swings in which the lead-arm angle is increased, swings where the lead-arm angle remains fairly constant, and swings where the lead-arm angle is reduced ..... all "where" you stated above.

If this is what you are basing your 'connection' notions on, then take note that it doesn’t pass the Hanson Principle.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Mann, you stated "where" in your post. See 'red' below.

That's why I suggested that you consider rethinking things. Because if you look at enough swings, and truly remain objective, then you’ll see swings in which the lead-arm angle is increased, swings where the lead-arm angle remains fairly constant, and swings where the lead-arm angle is reduced ..... all "where" you stated above.

IS this statement incorrect? Casting happens "as the upper turns"... this loses connection.

Any point from herelagtake low-0.00.02.90.jpg, you are correct, the arms get longer.
till then stay connected.

Please can I have you definition of connection?

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Thanks but I don't know what I am looking for]

My bad, your dd does lose her connection, by lengthening her front arm (arm bar).
When this happens, her pivot point, hinge angle gets skewed, her swing becomes long, and adjustments become difficult.

pre barjpg-0.00.02.73.jp.jpg
arm barjpg-0.00.03.22.jp.jpg

result, long swing lose of bat whip slow bat speed
jpg-0.00.03.71long.jp.jpg

But still not a bad swing to work from.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I will get one.

Help me out Mann. Isn't the advantage of this gadget to improve the hand-set such that the laser points towards the catcher's feet? Isn't that already happening?

m0m00.jpg

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
IS this statement incorrect? Casting happens "as the upper turns"... this loses connection.

Any point from hereView attachment 6095, you are correct, the arms get longer.
till then stay connected.

Please can I have you definition of connection?

Mann ... if you are turning the barrel against your backside then you are not casting. The 'connection' you seek should be that of properly turning the barrel. It is a form of 'connection' in which you don't try to be connected.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Thanks but I don't know what I am looking for]

My bad, your dd does lose her connection, by lengthening her front arm (arm bar).
When this happens, her pivot point, hinge angle gets skewed, her swing becomes long, and adjustments become difficult.

pre barView attachment 6096
arm barView attachment 6097

result, long swing lose of bat whip slow bat speed
View attachment 6098

But still not a bad swing to work from.

This is not "arm bar". As Donny explained .... "Bar arming" is when a player extends the lead arm fully and THEN shifts the weight.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Help me out Mann. Isn't the advantage of this gadget to improve the hand-set such that the laser points towards the catcher's feet? Isn't that already happening?

m0m00.jpg
Five, if the gadget can get this young lady to point the knob between the catchers feet - split the helmet with the barrel - at the top of the hand-set - I think she may put herself in a better position to naturally load the barrel @Go.

More in-line with what Miggy is doing:
k9alpu.gif