Poor balance? Swing issue?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 26, 2014
My 11yr old DD just finished All Stars and still trying to tweak swing. Will be facing a pitching machine for middle school tryouts on Tuesday which will be considerably faster that the pitching speeds she has seen so far. She is finishing falling forward sometimes which I caught in this video and she isn't sure why. Also, any tips for hitting off pitching machines? Swing thoughts? Many thanks!

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tips for hitting off pitching machines?
Go to a batting cage with a pitching machine and practice hitting off of the machine.
yxnWHw.gif

She is finishing falling forward sometimes which I caught in this video and she isn't sure why.
I would be looking at the swing 'upstream' for the problem. I don't believe it is a 'balance' problem.
A quick comparison of a hitter whom your DD seems to resemble, some what.
GBrett3000b.gif

Pay attention to the differences in the hand usage.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Last year, my young DD was having balance issues, and we used the "kick drill" with her finishing balanced on her front leg only. The all-back/all-forward weight shift isn't what we want to teach for a proper swing, but the aspect of finishing on one leg and holding her balance helped her learn how to feel and control what her body was doing. For my DD, it was very effective.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
What I'm about to say isn't advice for the short run (ie, all-stars), but in analyzing her swing for long haul, she exhibits many common swing ''flaws'' that you see w/ players of her age and level, the kind of problems that would need to be addressed if she wants to hit well beyond the 12U all-star level.

- She squishes the bug w/ her back foot. That is, she spins or pivots on the back foot in order to get hip rotation. She's a spinner. Not the most efficient way to get the hips involved in the swing.
- She has a ''gate swing.'' That is, her hips, shoulders and hands turn to the ball at the same time. There is a more effective sequence involving the hips, shoulders and hands. In short, the hips lead the way.
- She has what Eric F called an ''all-back/all-forward weight shift.'' That means that from the stance she leans back, then goes back forward, everything at the same time. The ideal way would involve the hands staying back, or loading, while the hips go forward during the weight shift forward. Watch slo-mo video of a MLB hitter during his load/stride and notice how the hands in the stance are roughly over the back hip, but at the end of the stride, the elite hitter has gained separation between hands and hips.

One other small thing - Her back foot should point forward (in the direction that her naval is facing), not outward. Makes it harder to get proper rotation and might also affect balance, IMO.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Also - Congrats on making all-stars! ... All swings exhibited on this forum have issues that people here will point out. I'm even scared to post my DD's video, and she's 6 years into travel ball. Takes courage to do that. :)

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
What I'm about to say isn't advice for the short run (ie, all-stars), but in analyzing her swing for long haul, she exhibits many common swing ''flaws'' that you see w/ players of her age and level, the kind of problems that would need to be addressed if she wants to hit well beyond the 12U all-star level.

- She squishes the bug w/ her back foot. That is, she spins or pivots on the back foot in order to get hip rotation. She's a spinner. Not the most efficient way to get the hips involved in the swing.
- She has a ''gate swing.'' That is, her hips, shoulders and hands turn to the ball at the same time. The more effective sequence involving the hips, shoulders and hands. In short, the hips lead the way.
- She has what Eric F called an ''all-back/all-forward weight shift.'' That means that from the stance she leans back, then goes back forward, everything at the same time. The ideal way would involve the hands staying back, or loading, while the hips go forward during the weight shift forward. Watch slo-mo video of a MLB hitter during his load/stride and notice how the hands in the stance are roughly over the back hip, but at the end of the stride, the elite hitter has gained separation between hands and hips.

One other small thing - Her back foot should point forward (in the direction that her naval is facing), not outward. Makes it harder to get proper rotation and might also affect balance, IMO.

All swings exhibited on this forum have issues that people here will point out. I'm even scared to post my DD's video, and she's 6 years into travel ball. Takes courage to do that
Coogansbluff nailed it. take time to 'digest' what he posted. We all been there and still there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi