Stay or go...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 26, 2016
Murfreesboro, TN
Most go in only knowing they’ll have a chance to contribute. They don’t know when, how many innings or which games. It helps prepare them for college because they might not play more than two innings their entire freshman year. They need to learn how to improve at practice or never see the field. Playing on teams of 10-11 kids and never having to compete for a spot is why so many girls quit after freshman year. Something to think about, if she can’t beat out 3 other catchers on her team, how is she going to beat out 300 other girls seeking a roster spot on a D1 team?

Regardless it's pretty clear your current team isn’t a good fit for a girl with D1 aspirations. She’s a 16U player on a 14U team. Have her talk with her current coach about her goals and plans to move on after the season. They’ll either accommodate her guest playing or decide to part ways. Either way you get what you want without burning bridges.

Nailed it.

Nov 18, 2013
Wait, from my research a Coach cannot call a player until July 1st AFTER her Junior year. Am I reading something wrong? (Talking D1 here)

D1 coaches can't talk to PSA's until September 1st during her junior year of HS. D2 has similar dates to when coaches can contact athletes, but few to no restrictions on player initiated contact. DIII coaches can talk to them earlier, but typically wait for D1 and D2 to finish so the kids they aren't going to get are filtered out.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
D1 coaches can't talk to PSA's until September 1st during her junior year of HS. D2 has similar dates to when coaches can contact athletes, but few to no restrictions on player initiated contact. DIII coaches can talk to them earlier, but typically wait for D1 and D2 to finish so the kids they aren't going to get are filtered out.

OK just so I know, Is that September 1 date between Sophomore and Junior year, or between Junior/Senior year? I take it as Sophomore/Junior year

Sep 29, 2014
Only thing that confused me is you said you were going to PGF and then showcase...which team is that with??

IF that's her old team I would stick with them unless both teams are going to same tournaments...just a little confused , sorry

Overall I'm not sure how this is exactly a hard conversation you should definitely honor your commitments but the coach has to honor theirs as well. If the coach thinks you are a catcher that is good for one or two innings a game and has three other options then they have not really committed to you as a catcher, two catchers plus an emergency catcher is plenty even in the Texas heat... Definitely try not to burn bridges but explain that I'm simply not being utilized and while I would like to honor my commitment sitting on the bench 75% of the time is the commitment you are asking me to make and that is simply too much to ask when another coach values me enough to play me 75% of the time, if you had 10 players and you would forfiet without me I would stay but that is simply not even close to the case.

Nov 18, 2013
OK just so I know, Is that September 1 date between Sophomore and Junior year, or between Junior/Senior year? I take it as Sophomore/Junior year

Between sophomore and Junior year. This Sept 1st graduates of 2021 can have recruiting conversations with D1 coaches.

Apr 16, 2013
She did a mini batting camp today at her #1 choice. (D1). In the live on field portion she put 4 out of around 15 pitches over the fence, several into the fence. No one else got one over at all. Hopefully she's on their radar a little more now! Guess we'll find out after Sept 1st!

Apr 16, 2013
I'm with you on that. How is she going to get better. This is hilarious
Thank you for your helpful words. :) Of course, if you also read through the entire thread you'd also see the solution was found and followed through upon as well as better explanations given.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28