Poor balance? Swing issue?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 26, 2014
I think your on an information overload! Keep rereading the info you were already given and research "barrel turn" or "turning the barrel". That will keep you busy for months and help your understanding....

Definitely on overload but just trying to get a plan together. Did very well in All Stars and starting Middle School ball now. She one of only a few who could hit the fast pitching. I'm can't wait to see when it finally clicks. Clearly she is losing a lot of power without that full release. Tonight is a swim meet but we will be back at it tomorrow. That keep the barrel above the hands I think has caused issues. These great hitters clearly get it below their hands and fairly rapidly.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I just don't see how that's helpful at all. I don't mean that in an argumentative sense, but to say that and then not offer your explanation of the CORRECT way to use one's back does nothing to help this person teach their daughter. You could have said "Use the force Luke" and been just as helpful and maybe drawn a smile.

Watch this young girls back movement. Gives the appearance of turn and turn.... The back/spine is capable of much more... Study the cat/cow/cat yoga position... You should feel how this movement can create a change in direction of the barrel. The legs will support these actions... This will cause the appearance of turning the barrel using your back.. Once you feel it.... The bat speed behind you will happen like no other..

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
This hand action is very different...
ForearmsOverhead.gif

From this hand action....
cabrerra5_zps9ba0618b.gif

:eek:no hatin here....

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
jpga13, your comments suggest that you aren't quite getting what folks are trying to tell you. You keep looking too far downstream. They are talking about barrel transition and the barrel turning process ... the usage of the hands that establishes structure in the forearms, as opposed to the pre-built structure your daughter has going on.

Maybe this will help. Look at the tip of the barrel in this comparison. It is the difference between hand usage and no hand usage. Hand usage in the sense of turning the barrel against the backside.

3450ro2.gif

k9alpu.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
jpga13, IMO there can only be one reason for seeing this below and not understanding the issue.

k9alpu.gif

Swing a bat in an attempt to duplicate what you see on the left. Experiment with "actions under the hood". Observe the result from different actions-under-the-hood. Keep doing this .... and in time you will see video and feel the under-the-hood actions that lead to such swing issues as we see on the right.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
jpga13, your comments suggest that you aren't quite getting what folks are trying to tell you. You keep looking too far downstream. They are talking about barrel transition and the barrel turning process ... the usage of the hands that establishes structure in the forearms, as opposed to the pre-built structure your daughter has going on.

Maybe this will help. Look at the tip of the barrel in this comparison. It is the difference between hand usage and no hand usage. Hand usage in the sense of turning the barrel against the backside.

3450ro2.gif

k9alpu.gif

Great gif and great comparison. Should be a sticky.

May 4, 2012
RD agreed. TJ's post is very good as well. The girl (and her dad should look at TJ's pic of Cabrerra) and get in front of a mirror - repeat and repeat and repeat - until they can duplicate. Most people say from the ground up. I think if you get the hands right it forces the lower parts into the correct place.

As an aside, I still don't get the cat cow thing though I do I like the bb/a$$ or solid middle concept - care to show us TDS your application of cat/cow. I will try anything. I just think the swing is more "hand centric" than you and probably would always agree to disagree on not having to worry about the hands even if I understood cat/cow deal

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
My 11yr old DD just finished All Stars and still trying to tweak swing. Will be facing a pitching machine for middle school tryouts on Tuesday which will be considerably faster that the pitching speeds she has seen so far. She is finishing falling forward sometimes which I caught in this video and she isn't sure why. Also, any tips for hitting off pitching machines? Swing thoughts? Many thanks!

I am going to say something many will not agree with.

I am going to say at this stage, keep her connected , ie, do not change the bat or the hands, at the beginning of the swing.

Very few girls are even able to do what your daughter does, which is to NOT, lay the barrel back.

I SEE her hands load the barrel ever so slightly as she moves out, WITH HER HANDS.

the first thing I would work on the back foot/knee, and she loses her connection by a front arm failure, after she turns, before contact.

I will help by posting my back foot knee, and how to help with the front arm elbow.

I do not like the hand action RD bass posted twisting the hands back, that will ruin her swing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi