Poor balance? Swing issue?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I am going to say something many will not agree with.

I am going to say at this stage, keep her connected , ie, do not change the bat or the hands, at the beginning of the swing.

Very few girls are even able to do what your daughter does, which is to NOT, lay the barrel back.

I SEE her hands load the barrel ever so slightly as she moves out, WITH HER HANDS.

the first thing I would work on the back foot/knee, and she loses her connection by a front arm failure, after she turns, before contact.

I will help by posting my back foot knee, and how to help with the front arm elbow.

I do not like the hand action RD bass posted twisting the hands back, that will ruin her swing.

Mann, in all due respect .... my understanding of your understanding of 'connection' is that you have the concept wrong ..... in the sense that it will not be overly helpful.

Just as a hitter rotates best by resisting rotation, a hitter is best 'connected' by trying not to be connected.

This kid here is connected to her spin .... and that won't work well against good pitching.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I do not like the hand action RD bass posted twisting the hands back, that will ruin her swing.
ForearmsOverhead.gif

Mann, you don't like 'whose' hands they are. That's your problem.
This part:
I am going to say at this stage, keep her connected , ie, do not change the bat or the hands, at the beginning of the swing.

Very few girls are even able to do what your daughter does, which is to NOT, lay the barrel back.
The only part of this I will agree with is..
which is to NOT, lay the barrel back
alot of girls/boys have this problem and it's called not 'turning the barrel to the ball'. It's called not using the hands properly.
But, don't let me stop you continue....

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
RD agreed. TJ's post is very good as well. The girl (and her dad should look at TJ's pic of Cabrerra) and get in front of a mirror - repeat and repeat and repeat - until they can duplicate. Most people say from the ground up. I think if you get the hands right it forces the lower parts into the correct place.

As an aside, I still don't get the cat cow thing though I do I like the bb/a$$ or solid middle concept - care to show us TDS your application of cat/cow. I will try anything. I just think the swing is more "hand centric" than you and probably would always agree to disagree on not having to worry about the hands even if I understood cat/cow deal

Look at the differences in back usage here.. The girls back is only turning while miggy's is doing much more... The problem slight APT movements in the lower back transfer to bigger movements above.. This is why I say you can't see it until You have felt it. The barrel coming down behind is caused by a back action (cat/cow).

k9alpu.gif

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Look at the differences in back usage here.. The girls back is only turning while miggy's is doing much more... The problem slight APT movements in the lower back transfer to bigger movements above.. This is why I say you can't see it until You have felt it. The barrel coming down behind is caused by a back action (cat/cow).
k9alpu.gif

Trying to follow along and making sure I'm on the same page. This 'back usage'?
PujolsStretch1.gif

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Yes.. Do you see the same back usage with the young girl??

If you want to feel it you need to forget about the legs and the arms and let the middle control it..

Apr 26, 2014
Again thank you for everyones input, we really appreciate it. She usually picks up things pretty quick but coaching she received told her lots of things that keep her from doing what apparently she needs to do. A big one was it's all the hips and the hands are along for the ride. Her stretch has shrunk to nothing when she does her toe touch and then because she was told to hang onto her release a little longer before rolling she just takes the bat right around her. The only positive thing is she doesn't have the drastic drop and drag like most of the other girls who can't hit a thing when we face fast pitching.

Anyway so now we obviously have a hand problem we have to deal with. It seems the more we work on this the worse everything else gets so I'm being cautious. So it appears we want to keep the hands with the shoulder but drop the barrel on plane sooner and then swing it so that it releases instead of dragging it around. If I can get her to feel it once I know we will be fine.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
So it appears we want to keep the hands with the shoulder but drop the barrel on plane sooner and then swing it so that it releases...

"Drop the barrel...then swing" is NOT the pattern you are looking for. Depending on what the hands and arms are doing, this leads to a drag or a push.

"Turn the barrel" - with intent, with conviction, with suddenness - to contact.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
"Drop the barrel...then swing" is NOT the pattern you are looking for. Depending on what the hands and arms are doing, this leads to a drag of a push.

"Turn the barrel" - with intent, with conviction, with suddenness - to contact.

As I tell some of my hitters ...... God gave you two hands, use them!

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Mann, in all due respect .... my understanding of your understanding of 'connection' is that you have the concept wrong ..... in the sense that it will not be overly helpful.

Just as a hitter rotates best by resisting rotation, a hitter is best 'connected' by trying not to be connected.

This kid here is connected to her spin .... and that won't work well against good pitching.

My view of connection has to due with the front arm, not straightening out, as the upper turns.

The arm cannot get longer, and you must create a good pivot point, by using the front arm properly.

It is essential to stay connected against good pitching, and learn to trust the pivot, and turning the barrel.

we might just disagree on when you begin to turn the barrel with your hands.

Or not.

this is connection
ConnectionDrill - YouTube
From the point she stops, is when you turn the barrel.
that's just me, my girls. And it works very well for me, to teach in this manner.

again, I like her( jpga13 dd) little hand movement at the load.

No I do not like the what the hands are doing Rdbass, to me that hand movement is wrong, and leads to laying the barrel back, and sweeping.

I like a good hand movement to resemble a "roundhouse curve".

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
My view of connection has to due with the front arm, not straightening out, as the upper turns.

The arm cannot get longer, and you must create a good pivot point, by using the front arm properly.

You might want to rethink this belief.

If you look at enough swings, and truly remain objective, then you’ll see swings in which the lead-arm angle is increased, swings where the lead-arm angle remains fairly constant, and swings where the lead-arm angle is reduced.

If this is what you are basing your 'connection' notions on, then take note that it doesn’t pass the Hanson Principle.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish