Poor balance? Swing issue?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 26, 2014

Something seems different. Been wrapped up with swim meets every day. Hopefully we can get back to business by Monday.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I imagine you're getting more advice than you can handle coming from all directions, but I'll make this quick point ...

Her hands in the stance are over the back hip, or a little behind. Which is OK. Her first moves from there in the video are weighting the back foot (fine) and pulling the hands back (not so good, yet). She gets separation between the hands and the back hip, which is good, and which is missing in not-so-good swings, but she achieves this separation at the wrong time. This separation should occur simultaneous to the forward weight shift. Not during the loading of the back foot. Go back and watch the clip of Miguel Cabrera in this thread and notice when his hands and his rear hip are achieving separation.

I'm not a hitting coach, just a dad who has studied hitting enough to notice obvious flaws in a swing. So I'm not qualified to say if this is the most important thing that needs correcting, but it is the most obvious thing to me, fwiw.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Something seems different. Been wrapped up with swim meets every day. Hopefully we can get back to business by Monday.

Good ..... now tell us what she focused on in this swing.

Let's see if she can use her hands even earlier .... and use them 'against' the backside.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
What you are referring to is simply "lead arm extension" ... and you'll find it in many high level swings.

HA HA, her shoulders turn, her arm gets longer, drapes, and she loses connection, and you call it high level.

It must exist in your swing.

I cannot tell from this angle, but if the view was from the side more instead of from behind, I am curious about the rear elbow.

She has a good swing, the first thing I would do for her, is point that rear foot towards the plate, maybe even slightly pigeon toed, and get the knee flexed inside the foot, and start feeling coil.
rear leg Angled like this / a gift from l Clifton.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

HA HA, her shoulders turn, her arm gets longer, drapes, and she loses connection, and you call it high level.

It must exist in your swing.

Mann, there is no reason for you to fabricate stories. I have not said this girl has a high level swing. You can do a much better job than that. At least pretend to be honest.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
What you are referring to is simply "lead arm extension" ... and you'll find it in many high level swings.

high level lead arm extension
i-5rMQDXG-M.gif

I would suggest, keep more flex.

jpg - takelow1.jp.jpgjpg - takelow2.jp.jpg

Oct 25, 2009
Very poor advice here.
If you have to raise your voice or yell at kids then, you would be an example of having poor communication skills and should not be around kids at any time. Many of these type of people have been through 1 or more marriages.

Straightleg

Whoa! There wouldn't be enough coaches left to coach if this was strictly enforced!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AymeePitcherMom