Poor balance? Swing issue?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Originally Posted by FiveFrameSwing
On occasion, you come across a hitter that is so persistent, that you almost have to blurt out ….. “turn the barrel REARWARD”.

Very poor advice here.
If you have to raise your voice or yell at kids then, you would be an example of having poor communication skills and should not be around kids at any time. Many of these type of people have been through 1 or more marriages.

Before turning the barrel or any upper body swing thoughts. Think about working on her lower half mechanics. Until the hips lead the swing, you will chase your tail on trying to fix things.
See the space between hands and rear hip out to toe touch?
When you step out balance to balance. Balanced stance, balanced step out....

Hips forward hands back landing on a soft front knee.

That is why I always work on throwing mechanics first

Straightleg

To follow on fixing the lower first, this might help.
If you carry this coil forward, even increase it, it will create the separation I believe straightleg is talking about.
coilmanngif-S.gif

one of my 14 year olds, that hits varsity.
IMG_9563small.jpg

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Whoa! There wouldn't be enough coaches left to coach if this was strictly enforced!

It's simply how people that can't respond with technical information tend to respond.

Myself .... I remain married to the only person I've married .... why someone would insinuate otherwise speaks ill of them IMO. Suggests that they have biases that they wish to integrate into softball discussions ... which IMO is not what DFP is about.

Oct 25, 2009
I have never raised my voice or yelled at a kid during a hitting lesson.
I have jelly beans, popsicles, and most times we do some laughing.

SL

During a hitting lesson I can't recall ever yelling at a kid, either. I was thinking more of team practices and games. I've done some of that and I've witnessed many more.

Apr 26, 2014
Still stepping a out a smidgen and the separation thing still a work in progress but making profess on releasing the bat. Last swim meet tomorrow and back to full time swing work.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
During a hitting lesson I can't recall ever yelling at a kid, either. I was thinking more of team practices and games. I've done some of that and I've witnessed many more.

Originally Posted by FiveFrameSwing
On occasion, you come across a hitter that is so persistent, that you almost have to blurt out ….. “turn the barrel REARWARD”.

I am just commenting on how this guy tries to teach, I dont agree with it, raising your voice or yelling at a kid does not set well with me.

SL

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I don't treat hitting sessions as a baby-sitting service. If raising my voice gets the message across more efficiently then that's what I'll do. Wouldn't hesitate to bark out instruction or emphasize what I'm looking for. No reason to be shy when you have the kid's best interests at heart.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Still stepping a out a smidgen and the separation thing still a work in progress but making profess on releasing the bat. Last swim meet tomorrow and back to full time swing work.

Try keeping the hands in the same plane and just drop the barrel. That will be more bat angle.
Research grip by hitter. Or what the bat jack teaches. A different grip will give her more bat speed

SL

Apr 26, 2014
Try keeping the hands in the same plane and just drop the barrel. That will be more bat angle.
Research grip by hitter. Or what the bat jack teaches. A different grip will give her more bat speed

SL

Thanks that will give us something specific we can work on. I did notice her grip was changing a bit. Not sure I'm a believer in the knocking knuckles thing as most great hitters don't do that but her could certainly use some adjustment. Thank you again.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Thanks that will give us something specific we can work on. I did notice her grip was changing a bit. Not sure I'm a believer in the knocking knuckles thing as most great hitters don't do that but her could certainly use some adjustment. Thank you again.

The grip I talk about has nothing to do with alignment of knuckles. More the bat in the fingers and hitting against the pad of the top hand.

SL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trasawn Bonecutter