Pitching coaches taking too much credit or Athletes commitments ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 6, 2013
I must admit I am very novice into softball pitching mainly exposed through my 10yr old DD. Last year when she was 9 I took her to a quite reputable coach who proclaimed himself as best in north east. To back it he showed list of player made it to college. I have to say I was quite impressed at the time. From day 1 he stressed the fact kid needs to work four days a week all around year otherwise he wont coach.
Now having worked with my daughter for couple of years and seeing the kids both in rec and travel I came to the conclusion is pitching coaches are really overrating themselves in many cases. I am not at all questioning PCs value, infact they are must: there is no question about it.
But here is my calculations:
Young girl starts pitching at age 8. Let us say she likes pitching and she pitches atleast 3 times a week till 12 every week. From 12 on if she really likes she will start pitching 4 times a week. If she still likes the game she will work on other softball stuff during other 3 days. So what I am saying is the kid who makes big is essentially works her but off 7 days a week from very early on.
So if "A kid" has this kind of commitment from age 8 through 18 with so much compromise from other distractions, parties for 10 years I have to say they are likely make it big. It some times annoys me coaches taking full credit without giving due respect for girls commitment and also parents commitment to facilitate this. Or if girl doesnt have this commitments she is unlikely make it to next level,

Any opinions ?

Dec 7, 2011
In my little SB state there is another angle on this that annoys the crap out of me.

OTHER PEOPLE (not the PC themselves), in predominantly the not-so-SB-educated HS scene, will deify a pitching coach, that maybe all they did was really provide the gym for the pitcher to pitch in over the winter months.

Then you get flocks of parent-lemmings running to that "illustrious" PC to have them touch their DD's pitching arm to make it gold.

This happens too much here.

The further problem is that these "illustrious" PC's will now propagate their incorrect teachings all over an area......

I don't blame the parents of the young DD's, .... they don't know any better. I blame the mainstream HS SB community for blindly buying into rhetoric, and forcing it as gospel.... (wow, allot like what they do IN school too.....)

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
While I agree that if a PC has 20 students that are hard workers and committed, there are bound to be a few that turn out to be very good pitchers. I have seen it locally with some PC's that have one or two good pitchers that everyone gives them credit for. What about the 18 other kids that you never heard of or see in games? It is a numbers game. The athlete has a ton to do with it. I still believe a good PC can take a pitcher to another level. Hard work can only do so much. Without someone showing the correct mechanics or spins, you will get a hard worker with bad habits and decent speed.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Anyone who teaches softball (or anything, for that matter) knows that the student has to do the work to learn. The real issue is whether the teacher is helpful.

So if "A kid" has this kind of commitment from age 8 through 18 with so much compromise from other distractions, parties for 10 years I have to say they are likely make it big.

You're falling into the "you only have to believe and work hard and then you can do anything" Hollywood fantasy. Commitment is only one part of the equation.

It also takes (1) good instruction, (2) the right team or teams and (3) the right physical attributes.

Mar 6, 2013
Geez Slugger you missed the point!. May be you are half way closer to hollywood makes you highly influenced by Hollywood :). I specifically said good PC is must. You should understand there are many famous pitcher who are famous because hard word and continuous coaching/influence from their parents, yet there are NONE who didnt work hard and pushed themselves.

****PERSONAL ATTACK NOT ALLOWED***

Last edited by a moderator:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My SWAG at it...

Pitcher (work ethic/attitude/motivation/aptitude) - 40%
God given talent (size/strength) - 20%
Pitcher's parents - 20%
Pitching coach - 10%
Pitcher's TB team/coach - 5%
Pitcher's HS team/coach - 5%

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
My SWAG at it...

Pitcher's parents - 20%
Pitching coach - 10%

I'd say that's pretty dang close.

Nov 29, 2009
My SWAG at it...

Pitcher's parents - 20%
Pitching coach - 10%

It's more like:

Work Ethic -- 100%
Talent -- 100%
Parents -- 100%
PC -- 100%

HS & Travel -- 100%

If any of the top 4 are lacking a pitcher will never reach her full potential. Her full potential may not be the same as another girl's, but that's what makes each player different.

The coaches must be 100% committed to the players. How many good players have quit due to bad coaching interaction experiences.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
It's more like:

Work Ethic -- 100%
Talent -- 100%
Parents -- 100%
PC -- 100%

HS & Travel -- 100%

If any of the top 4 are lacking a pitcher will never reach her full potential. Her full potential may not be the same as another girl's, but that's what makes each player different.

You don't need any talent to reach your full potential. You just don't have as much potential. :)

But if we're talking about being an elite pitcher, one that can play major D-1, then I agree that you pretty much have to have all those (except high school) - Work ethic, talent, supportive parents, PC and a travel team that gives you experience against competition that makes you better. I'd like to see a list of SEC pitchers who didn't high high doses of all five.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan