Live pitching practices VS bullpens/lessons

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Did not read whole thread so forgive me if this has been mentioned. 10U pitchers should throw bullpen at practice. Preferably to a AC or parent. Those stand up mannequin that mimic a batter are great for teach pitchers to throw inside. Hitting should be done at multi be stations including tee work, front toss and pitching machine. Live at 10u doesn't work well. At 14U and up live can be done with rotating pitchers as Cannonball mentioned. Each batter gets 2 ABs and starts with 1- 1 count. First AB pitcher throws fastballs only. Hitters that can't time up and hit FB when they know it's coming should play soccer. 😂. This is why pitching machine hitting is very important, IMO. If a hitter can't hit off a machine they 'probably' can't hit. Second AB catcher calls the pitches and tries to strikeout batter. Competition.

This is why people call the parents of pitchers "crazy". No F'n way would I have my daughter at the 14u level and up, go to a practice and throw only fastballs to hitters, that is a waste of time for any 14u pitcher and above, as well as dangerous. Might as well just stay at home and do our own pitching practice.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
In my opinion, both serve their purpose but if a kid is throwing 30-40, or even 50% strikes in a bullpen/lesson without the elements of a game, throwing live isn't going to be the difference maker. Curious to hear the thoughts from this board.
This is the question that is being asked, so let's leave the hitters and the team out of it. In my experience 30-50% strikes in the bullpen at 10U is decent, if it's accurate. Most, if not all, 10U pitchers will be significantly wilder in games. Therefore having 10U pitchers get experience by having them pitch live to hitters in game like situations will help their development. It's not uncommon at 10U for bullpen aces to fail miserably in games.

Jun 8, 2016
I got Klobuchar vs Asa Hutchinson.
There are posters on here who would be great politicians. Ignore the question being asked and just spew off talking points and then claim it is all in the name of discussion when in their entire posting history they have never conceded a point..that’s not “discussion”

May 21, 2023
I read the post as the coaches are split on what they should do.
For me finding a happy medium between coaches was the answer. Because I do not think it would hurt to add it.

Obviously from the post, there's already two sides to the topic, why would the discussion come out differently🤷‍♀️

Thoughts.
There is no one answer.

Agree with
I read the post as the coaches are split on what they should do.
For me finding a happy medium between coaches was the answer. Because I do not think it would hurt to add it.

Obviously from the post, there's already two sides to the topic, why would the discussion come out differently🤷‍♀️

Thoughts.
There is no one answer.

Agree with This
I asked which of the two do you think needs to be done more..Was interested in the philosophies of live pitching vs bullpens. That’s it lol

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying