Live pitching practices VS bullpens/lessons

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 21, 2023
I am a coach of a 10U travel team and wanted to get some feedback. Our coaches opinions are split on how to develop our pitchers. We have 3 pitchers currently that all do lessons once a week with a college coach, and throw multiple times week. We have one pitcher who is very good and throws consistent strikes. The other two are coming along but still struggle with consistency. Two of our coaches think the answer is to do live practices as much as possible and the other two lean more to bullpens and occasional live (once a week). In my opinion, both serve their purpose but if a kid is throwing 30-40, or even 50% strikes in a bullpen/lesson without the elements of a game, throwing live isn't going to be the difference maker. Curious to hear the thoughts from this board.

Sep 19, 2018
Do you have a hitting tunnel where the pitchers can work to one batter while the rest of the team practices? You can't take up the whole field and have everyone standing around waiting for a strike. Even if you had a tunnel to separate out, I still don't think I'd do this more than once a week. That is not enough strikes to make it worthwhile for the hitter standing there instead of practicing.

Jun 8, 2016
In my opinion, both serve their purpose but if a kid is throwing 30-40, or even 50% strikes in a bullpen/lesson without the elements of a game, throwing live isn't going to be the difference maker. Curious to hear the thoughts from this board.
IMO your opinion is correct..

Dec 11, 2010
Players are not pitching machines.

Players pitching at practice ends up being players standing around, not practicing.

Pitchers don’t like to throw balls that will be hit.

Pitchers parents are crazy. Nothing you do will be right, no matter what.

At 10u you have too many things to teach them to mess around with scrimmages.

Let me know in 6 years if any of this is wrong.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
@Nate711 , why did you post in 3 different sections? Most of us start with the tab "What's New" and everyone will see your post.

Westwind sums it up. Pitchers get better at home and lessons not during team practices. Lots of reps. 10U is the VERY hardest and most frustrating age division because the players are just learning to pitch. Don't be that coach that yells out "just throw strikes!" It is hard and the pitchers are putting in more work than anyone else on the team. They are doing their best.

May 21, 2023
@Nate711 , why did you post in 3 different sections? Most of us start with the tab "What's New" and everyone will see your post.

Westwind sums it up. Pitchers get better at home and lessons not during team practices. Lots of reps. 10U is the VERY hardest and most frustrating age division because the players are just learning to pitch. Don't be that coach that yells out "just throw strikes!" It is hard and the pitchers are putting in more work than anyone else on the team. They are doing their best.

I just joined so cut me some slack ha.. But I agree with everything you said.. I’m big on reps over live. Hard to convince a couple of our coaches

Dec 11, 2010
10U is the VERY hardest and most frustrating age division because the players are just learning to pitch. Don't be that coach that yells out "just throw strikes!" It is hard and the pitchers are putting in more work than anyone else on the team. They are doing their best.
This sure is true.

I wish I could go back knowing what I know now.

I truly wish you the best, Nate. Sounds like you are off to a good start!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
What we liked to do when I was a HC was for my pitchers to alternate starting times in the bullpen and I would start BP on the diamond with my team also hitting in the cages. I would have hitters ready in groups of 3 for when I needed them. When the 1st pitcher was about done with their bullpen, they would come onto the field and throw to 3 hitters to finish. Depending upon how well they did and the next pitcher getting ready, the pitcher could be done after the 3 hit or throw one or two more at-bats. If the pitcher in the bullpen was not ready by then, it threw to the next 3 hitters. Eventually, all of the pitchers would be done and I wrapped up live BP on the field.

Feb 15, 2017

Yell "throw something that looks like a strike and then moves out of the zone!"

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802