Live pitching practices VS bullpens/lessons

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Maybe with SoCal weather and a gigantic pool of players, you can afford to waste time.

I suppose thats a consideration too.

May 13, 2023
There is no conundrum to me.

At 10u, they shouldn’t do more. They shouldn’t do less.
That comment is opening a can of worms LOL,
My advice is to not do it, unless the team is practicing at least 3 times per week. And who does that.
This is the better answer to developing a team, practice more. Actually a lot of teams practice three times a week! Excessive longgg practices for some teams.

It sounds like OP team has a staff of 5. With 5 coaches, you can get A LOT done. And that will pay dividends exponentially at the 6 month, 1 year, 2 year etc mark. Well begun is halfway done.
Or they have such a large coaching staff that they can include this 🤷‍♀️ but large coaching staff in itself does not mean better practices are happening.

Focusing on efficient use of time and facilitation would serve many practices better!

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Did not read whole thread so forgive me if this has been mentioned. 10U pitchers should throw bullpen at practice. Preferably to a AC or parent. Those stand up mannequin that mimic a batter are great for teach pitchers to throw inside. Hitting should be done at multi be stations including tee work, front toss and pitching machine. Live at 10u doesn't work well. At 14U and up live can be done with rotating pitchers as Cannonball mentioned. Each batter gets 2 ABs and starts with 1- 1 count. First AB pitcher throws fastballs only. Hitters that can't time up and hit FB when they know it's coming should play soccer. 😂. This is why pitching machine hitting is very important, IMO. If a hitter can't hit off a machine they 'probably' can't hit. Second AB catcher calls the pitches and tries to strikeout batter. Competition.

Feb 15, 2017
Best pitching work I've ever seen was by DD first year 14u coaches. We had four pitchers and three coaches. You would either throw in cages or throw to live batters.

The pitchers throwing live would be throwing scenario based, with goal of either the batter or pitcher winning. ( Didn't use a whole fielding team, coach would judge who won) An example. Runner on second, no outs, bunt the runner to third. The pitcher knows this, so will pitch pitches that don't make great pitches to bunt. The batter knows this so has to be focused and has to know when to take the ball if necessary. The pitcher won if the batter made a bad bunt. The batter won if they made a successful bunt or drew the walk.
There would be other scenarios like runner on third neeed a fly ball to the outfield. Two outs runners in scoring need a hit with two strikes, etc.

Two pitchers would rotate after three wins or losses. There was usually three batters to hit. The non pitching pitcher would rotate in at hitting as well.

The other two pitchers would be throwing in the bullpen. They would throw simulated innings by and the coach would call the pitch. If you hit your spot it was a strike if not, it was a hit, and the coach would say what type, or a ball. The coaches would call some strikes balls or hits just like in a real game. The goal was to get three outs. They would keep score. The girls would compete to get the lowest score for the practice.

This reinforced a mentality of do your job as well.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Because so often you are practicing on one field with no cage…. It’s all you have. Have had access to some really nice multi field set ups though. I would use my imagination on that deal!
I don't know of many TB teams that don't have a couple of popup nets. Also, when I took over as the HC baseball coach at one of the HS I coached at, I didn't have a cage. Heck, we didn't have any equipment. We built a bullpen and I borrowed a cage from a friend. For practice, our pitcher threw a pitch and if the ball wasn't hit, I hit a ground ball to a fielding station. I created all type of hitting an fielding stations on the side. It can be done. As my principal said, I was a "very innovative young man." LOL

May 21, 2023
Yes, can see your issue LOL...
bottom line
it is difficult to find a pod of coaches who are all going to agree on the exact same practice.
You're not the first coaching staff to want to figure out what the best practices are. The good thing is you can do different practices and still accomplish each coaching goal! You just have to be willing to listen and apply what other coaches are saying.

LOL GEEEZ.....
Sometimes, Overblown overthinking makes an issue that isn't there. Can do both, mix practices a little reduces redundant boring practices.
Can do both...
Bull pens warm up pitchers. Then go do live hitting only going to be throwing to three or four or five batters 15 to 25 pitches (1 bucket) move on.
Satisfies all the coaches practice desires LOL
Lol Every one of your long replies are full of assumptions you are making from a very simple post. We have very good practices and a very good team and are 40 games in. Half our team is 8 and half is 9.. We have won or placed second in our last 5 tournaments.

You’ve been down so many worm holes from my post, I believe you are the one doing the over thinking haaa

Dec 11, 2010
I don't know of many TB teams that don't have a couple of popup nets. Also, when I took over as the HC baseball coach at one of the HS I coached at, I didn't have a cage. Heck, we didn't have any equipment. We built a bullpen and I borrowed a cage from a friend. For practice, our pitcher threw a pitch and if the ball wasn't hit, I hit a ground ball to a fielding station. I created all type of hitting a fielding stations on the side. It can be done. As my principal said, I was a "very innovative young man." LOL
Not what we are talking about.

I got plenty of equipment accumulated myself to start a travel team.

What we are talking about is should a 10u (gonna say it again, 10u) team burn daylight with their own pitchers plunking their own hitters and throwing 50% strikes. And is it a good idea for the coaching staff to dedicate more time to it.

If you say 14u, maybe. If you say college, definitely. But at 10u, my contention is it’s time poorly spent.

Don’t make me start a 10u team and spend my next 8 years proving I’m right, lol

Feb 15, 2017
Not what we are talking about.

I got plenty of equipment accumulated myself to start a travel team.

What we are talking about is should a 10u (gonna say it again, 10u) team burn daylight with their own pitchers plunking their own hitters and throwing 50% strikes. And is it a good idea for the coaching staff to dedicate more time to it.

If you say 14u, maybe. If you say college, definitely. But at 10u, my contention is it’s time poorly spent.

Don’t make me start a 10u team and spend my next 8 years proving I’m right, lol
Sounds like a challenge!!!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812