Live pitching practices VS bullpens/lessons

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
@Nate711 Welcome to DFP. It really is a great community even when we bicker a little. And I hope there were some tidbits in the foregoing proceedings.

Apr 6, 2021
I am a coach of a 10U travel team and wanted to get some feedback. Our coaches opinions are split on how to develop our pitchers. We have 3 pitchers currently that all do lessons once a week with a college coach, and throw multiple times week. We have one pitcher who is very good and throws consistent strikes. The other two are coming along but still struggle with consistency. Two of our coaches think the answer is to do live practices as much as possible and the other two lean more to bullpens and occasional live (once a week). In my opinion, both serve their purpose but if a kid is throwing 30-40, or even 50% strikes in a bullpen/lesson without the elements of a game, throwing live isn't going to be the difference maker. Curious to hear the thoughts from this board.

Apr 6, 2021
I am a coach of a 10U travel team and wanted to get some feedback. Our coaches opinions are split on how to develop our pitchers. We have 3 pitchers currently that all do lessons once a week with a college coach, and throw multiple times week. We have one pitcher who is very good and throws consistent strikes. The other two are coming along but still struggle with consistency. Two of our coaches think the answer is to do live practices as much as possible and the other two lean more to bullpens and occasional live (once a week). In my opinion, both serve their purpose but if a kid is throwing 30-40, or even 50% strikes in a bullpen/lesson without the elements of a game, throwing live isn't going to be the difference maker. Curious to hear the thoughts from this board.

Apr 6, 2021
Let the kids pitch in a tunnel with a stand up batter or plastic dummy. If the y are pitching as much as you indicated they are getting plenty of practice. These are 10 year old kids not Jenny Finch or Kat Osterman. I am a long time highschool head varsity coach. I do not let my pitchers throw PB they do side line work and long toss. They take fielding practice during infield drills. We do pitching zone drills and you guys need to back off a little and not over do it

Jun 8, 2016
Let the kids pitch in a tunnel with a stand up batter or plastic dummy. If the y are pitching as much as you indicated they are getting plenty of practice. These are 10 year old kids not Jenny Finch or Kat Osterman. I am a long time highschool head varsity coach. I do not let my pitchers throw PB they do side line work and long toss. They take fielding practice during infield drills. We do pitching zone drills and you guys need to back off a little and not over do it
Is Gold your last name or are they giving monickers to coaches as well as teams now?

May 21, 2023
Thanks..Right now, they throw 2-3 times a week (bullpens, lessons).. They took a big leap from fall to spring doing this, and are getting better every week

Jun 8, 2016
Yeah I wrote about that.
>>>They already do throw bull pens on their own.Aka- Pitching workouts.
That alone tells you they already do more throwing without a batter.
*holy mackerel LOL
>>>Adding some live will help mix in game like situation.

Btw nice to have pitchers who throw on their own! And coaches who want to figure out how to make the team better that's nice to see also!
Good to see you have a strong 10u team look forward to some Futures there!
I would hate to be the pitcher who shook you off…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802