Pitch Follow-Through, Which Way is Correct??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
To correct coach Hal's assertion........I/R mechanics PUT the hand under.......and fingers behind the ball. The starting position for most every movement pitch in the game........ESPECIALLY curve ball.........

From this universal I/R position, the fingers can rotate around the ball for curve...........

2q06e6b.gif

Under the ball for rise..........

fycxtz.gif

Inside the ball for screw.........

9usvo3.gif

Up the back of the ball for peel and/or roll drop........

2lblwjm.gif

And allows for early rotation over the top of the circle, to the outside, and/or front, for various change ups such as flip, horseshoe and others.........

Image limitation here prevented a clip of the Smith flip change.........I'll show it in the next post.........

So yes........Internal Rotation mechanics are UNIVERSAL in ALL high level pitchers in fastpitch for maximized whip and spin manipulation on most all movement pitches.......For both Men AND Women.........

Anyone who tells you different, might need to rely on "sneaky" pitching tactics to make up for lack of optimum movement/velocity.........

Consider this a "recommendation" for Hal's book.......If necessity dictates..........

God bless you for being the voice of reason. Anyone who argues against IR clearly doesnt understand the mechanics generating arm whip. Slow motion video says it all. What more proof does one need?

459'smom

Eat sleep& breathe sofbal
Feb 25, 2013
Greetings,

My daughter has been taught by a couple of different pitching instructors over the last few years in clinics and one-on-one settings. She is at the point right now that she requires a pitching coach to move to the next level.

My question or concern is related to the release or follow-through of the arm in the pitch. She has had instructors that tell her upon release of the ball - your right hand should follow through to your right shoulder (for right-handed pitchers). Others have instructed her that this is unnecessary and that her natural motion - coming somewhat across her chest - on an angle leftward is the way she's suppose to follow-through with her pitch.

If you get what I'm saying and have an opinion - help me out on this. Is there a right or wrong way? Does it matter?

Thanks in advance.

AllDay

Google Bill Hillhouse pitching videos. He gives phenomenal instruction AND EXPLANATIONS that will answer your questions exactly!!!

We have 2 DD pitchers and we are I'm the process of adjusting to his philosophies!!! He's a smart guy....after watching one or two of his videos you'll say "DUH, why didn't I think of that!!" lol!!!

May 18, 2009
The mens pitch would be illegal in womens/girls softball. Most of the men leave the ground with both feet at the same time. Replant with the rear foot prior to landing the front foot and then power push their rear foot during the follow through. The arm circles look good though.

Jun 13, 2009
first of all, this video of Bill was done in his Erie city league. I've been to see him play and will testify, he's not throwing 100%, or even close to it. The league is very low level of play and he freely admits that trying to strike out 21 would discourage even more people from playing in what is now only a 3 team league that is STARVING for players. So, I wouldn't put too much stock in what you see here in the video. Second, rules are the same for men and women in ISF competition. And those rules recently changed which allows both feet in the air during the pitch. The video of Bill being circulated here is (literally) a beer league that he pitches in with his friends in his hometown. He's not demonstrating or trying to model what "real game" rules would be.

CG

May 18, 2009
I said those pitches were wrong for girls/women. I didn't say Bill was doing it wrong. Find it strange that they have different rules for the two. Seems like standardizing it would make it easier for men and women.

Jun 13, 2009
LOL When it comes to some of these video examples,,, maybe we should have a different forrum just for those who play by the ISC rules and umpires.

Hal, did you ever play in the ISC tournament? National team? Internationally?

I'm not asking for anything other than curiosity. I truly dont know. I've asked BH in the past about you and he said you played in different generations but that you had a very good career, much more accomplished than most others from what he said.

CG

Feb 7, 2013
The mens pitch would be illegal in womens/girls softball. Most of the men leave the ground with both feet at the same time. Replant with the rear foot prior to landing the front foot and then power push their rear foot during the follow through. The arm circles look good though.

I'm not sure the point of this post in a thread about arm whip and the follow though after release. The reason BM showed these clips was to reinforce the concept that every high level pitcher uses internal rotation from 12 o'clock into and THRU release.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2009
Beer league or not--I'd go watch if I was close enough!

Ken, it really is remarkable. In the videos of all those men's pitchers is one pitcher from Australia, Folkard is his name. Despite playing on rival teams, he stays at Bill's house during the summer and also pitches in that league. Folkard is considered to be the #1 pitcher in the world and the fastest. Neither of them throw 100% (unless the other is batting!!!). I'm told it's because 2 reasons: not having catchers locally that could hang on and #2 it would chase away the remaining competition in the league.

CG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom