Pitch Follow-Through, Which Way is Correct??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 12, 2013
Check out Bill Hillhouse on youtube. Ive coached at different levels for yrs but never really understood pitching, Bill makes it pretty simple. Im no pro, but at least ive got better grip on pitching and know what im looking for.

Jul 14, 2008
The more the topic of glove swim comes up, the less I think it is a fatal fault. Just as I have to some extent, in my own mind, exorcised the demon that is the slight turn of the pivot foot at push off. Everyone will have an opinion on the subject. You find pitchers at all levels that do and don't have all of these common "faults". Bottom line is, you WANT to teach the most efficient motion possible. If there is a slight variance from perfection, and the end result is desirable, I consider those nominal working points. No need to destruct and rebuild. Bring it into scope and make it an improvement point, but not a critical hard stop until it's fixed. I'm a firm believer that there is no perfect motion. There is no ONE right answer. BUT, there is always an opportunity to improve, regardless of what level you are at. I agree 100% that there ARE critical faults that can prevent success, or growth. Glove swim in my opinion is not one of them.

Good job here Rope.......It was just a short while ago when you "went off" on me about the horrible nightmares we can expect regarding glove swimming if we don't fix it RIGHT NOW. Remember?........Anything but correcting it immediately was unacceptable advice.......I actually book marked that post in case I ever needed to refer to it again.......

When I said glove swimming wasn't a big concern unless it can be proven that it is causing or directly related to a fatal flaw in the overall mechanics.........You basically said I didn't know crap about pitching outside of teaching I/R............

I prepared no less then 3 responses to post because it was so rediculous.........But I deleted them all because I decided not to start a war with someone trying to learn about what's important and what isn't SO important regarding the pitching motion.......I think I did the right thing based on your post above..........

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.........When he's thirsty enough.......He'll drink on his own...........:)

Again, good job here........

Jul 17, 2012
Good job here Rope.......It was just a short while ago when you "went off" on me about the horrible nightmares we can expect regarding glove swimming if we don't fix it RIGHT NOW. Remember?........Anything but correcting it immediately was unacceptable advice.......I actually book marked that post in case I ever needed to refer to it again.......

When I said glove swimming wasn't a big concern unless it can be proven that it is causing or directly related to a fatal flaw in the overall mechanics.........You basically said I didn't know crap about pitching outside of teaching I/R............

I prepared no less then 3 responses to post because it was so rediculous.........But I deleted them all because I decided not to start a war with someone trying to learn about what's important and what isn't SO important regarding the pitching motion.......I think I did the right thing based on your post above..........

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.........When he's thirsty enough.......He'll drink on his own...........:)

Again, good job here........
C'mon Man.... 99% of the time I fully embrace what you say. I can count on one finger, maybe 2, the times I disagreed with your posts with regard to content. I just don't always LOVE the presentation of that content. You can be a bit harsh at times, with regard to the subject, or the poster on the other side of your beliefs.

I'll eat crow on this one. I bit back. My appologies.

Don't get me wrong, alignment of the front shoulder still comes up in critique just about every time she works out... I just stopped having her pitch with her glove arm against a wall to correct it. She's gotten to a tolerable level in my eyes, based on what I see from similar aged pitchers, and model pitchers for that matter.

Back when I posted this, she was in fact extreme, and it was causing her grief. The closing of the glove arm 90 degrees to the target was causing her arm circle to go with it.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Don't get me wrong, alignment of the front shoulder still comes up in critique just about every time she works out... I just stopped having her pitch with her glove arm against a wall to correct it. She's gotten to a tolerable level in my eyes, based on what I see from similar aged pitchers, and model pitchers for that matter.

Back when I posted this, she was in fact extreme, and it was causing her grief. The closing of the glove arm 90 degrees to the target was causing her arm circle to go with it.

We (my daughter with me giving feedback) have worked on this swimming issue a bit but after reading about it here and watching video we have settled at this. If the swim and/or timing of the swim negatively affects her ability to fully open her throwing side shoulder/arm or ability to pull down towards the target then we consider an adjustment. If not we don't bother with it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32