Pitch Follow-Through, Which Way is Correct??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
What exact movement pitch is she throwing in the video? EX: if it is a curveball, why would you expect to se a HE?

There is NO generic release point as many seem to think, just as there is NO generic follow through. They will both depend on the specific movement pitch being thrown and how much emphasis is placed on increasing the ball spin at the instant of ball release.

You simply cannot say IR follow through. In the case of the traditional curveball grip and release, it is done exactly opposite of IR.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
There is NO generic release point as many seem to think, just as there is NO generic follow through. They will both depend on the specific movement pitch being thrown and how much emphasis is placed on increasing the ball spin at the instant of ball release.
Well said.

My understanding is the curve release uses classic I/R.

May 17, 2012
The pitching arm should follow through across the body and upwards, and finish in a position that reaches to at least shoulder height.

The pitching arm will also continue to rotate in the direction of pronation and medial rotation, to decelerate pronation velocity over the greatest time and distance possible.

As Hal pointed out this would be dependent on the pitch.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Wow. This is good stuff. I think I have found a new home with you all here...lol.

I certainly have some homework to do but judging from the replys thus far it looks like we are on the right track. Anymore opinions, suggestions, videos, etc. - please keep 'em coming.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
IR brings the fingers to inside of the ball. The traditional curveball has the fingersand rotating in a couter-clockwise rotation around the side and front of the ball. IR brings the hand / fingers rotating clockwise behind the ball producing a clockwise spin.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Unless I'm missing something, I/R refers to the rotation of a limb, not the spin of the ball. Clockwise is external rotation for a right hander.

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Have you ever seen a mojor league pitcher follow through to his "pitching" hip (right for righty)? Nope!..... always across his body. Why would you ask someone pitching underhand to follow through to her pitching shoulder? Makes no sense to me. Check out Fastpitch TV and search Hillhouse. A great place to start.

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Have you ever seen a major league pitcher follow through to his "pitching" hip (right for righty)? Nope!..... always across his body. Why would you ask someone pitching underhand to follow through to her pitching shoulder? Makes no sense to me. Check out Fastpitch TV and search Hillhouse. A great place to start.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1