Pitch Follow-Through, Which Way is Correct??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 25, 2010
Ken, he is really something to watch. It's amazing how fast that ball is in the glove after it leaves his hand. And the movement is crazy. The men's game has a decidedly different "flavor". Plus, if you can decipher some of those guys' accents, it's a bonus.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
hsrpev.jpg

Chiming in a little late on this topic but this is how my DD finishes her pitch. Right or wrong, in my opinion, as long as she is achieving good internal rotation, I really dont care where her arm goes.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Ok, this is off topic but I think it is worth mentioning. My DD has been working so hard at getting rid of the glove swim. Numerous people on here said we needed to fix it ASAP and not to move on to anything else until it is fixed. I also agree that it needs fixed ASAP. However, if you look on page 4 of this thread, the .gif files (repeating video) posted by Boardmember, every one of these elite pitchers glove swim. One of the pitchers arms "disappears" due to the glove swimming. My question is, when my DD looks at this thread, and she will because she is so interested in learning she is on here as much as I am, how am I supposed to tell her the best pitchers in the world do not glove swim when some of them clearly do??? Apologies for posting off topic but I wanted to capture this opportunity to pose the question.....

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2012
The more the topic of glove swim comes up, the less I think it is a fatal fault. Just as I have to some extent, in my own mind, exorcised the demon that is the slight turn of the pivot foot at push off. Everyone will have an opinion on the subject. You find pitchers at all levels that do and don't have all of these common "faults". Bottom line is, you WANT to teach the most efficient motion possible. If there is a slight variance from perfection, and the end result is desirable, I consider those nominal working points. No need to destruct and rebuild. Bring it into scope and make it an improvement point, but not a critical hard stop until it's fixed. I'm a firm believer that there is no perfect motion. There is no ONE right answer. BUT, there is always an opportunity to improve, regardless of what level you are at. I agree 100% that there ARE critical faults that can prevent success, or growth. Glove swim in my opinion is not one of them.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Remember that most young ones are like little hyper mobile munchkins....not a lot of stability. So when they start adding leaping and an upright good posture....they will likely contract the scaps...and have a swim of some sort.
I agree about going ahead and working on controlling the glove side from the beginning, even with just k's, up and downs, knee throws etc. Long as they aren't slinging it nilly willy around and it isn't causing early shoulder closing its not high on my priority list.

I've seen that report referenced before... reading jump info. Interesting that its referenced here in pitching.

Boomer...I like what this video shows with her controlling the glove arm and throwing arm motion...she is doing good. I know you said in a previous post that she was taught HE and Slam hips. My dd was too for a much longer time...and I understand the fear of changing...but your ahead of the curve in my view! Don't be afraid to change the 90 degree front foot...some things should be a priority. And thats one imo. :)

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Yes, yes. We are on spring break this week and will be focusing on that plant foot. Hopefully by weeks end it will be more at a 45 upon landing. Any advice on how to get there??

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
No fancy gadgets or drills that I know of. I use a strip of tape on hard surfaces set at about a 45 degree angle as a visual reminder. Other than than, lots of immediate feedback. I think it helps to encourage them to think "point straight," then it usually lands around 45.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1