T-rex Arm Follow through

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 10, 2023
I'm also thinking this would lead to more shoulder pain than forearm pain. I can't say it's common, but I've seen it enough where I scratch my head and wonder what pitching coach is letting her throw like that (the ones I've seen have an even more exaggerated shoulder move - to the point where it looks like they're scratching their ear with their shoulder).
What she is trying to do is to aim the ball. She has to trust her release. The reason the ball was going into the dirt is because she was leaning forward and she is short arming the pitch.

What I tell kids to help enforce the correct body position is she has to keep her brain above her butt. The head needs to be stationary and on top a straight spine. As soon as the head goes forward the rest of the body will follow.
This is not how she’s taught. She is being taught the correct methods and does very good during practice and lesson. When everything is full speed she does fight the T-Rex arm. Things tend to get sideways during games - leaping instead of pushing off causing her to land on her front foot with a downward projection/arm jerk, etc. We can work on those things but we/instructor cannot get her to break the arm draw. I don’t want her to get hurt.

Feb 25, 2020
My opinion is your dd is just too tight out there. Throw more in practice up to a high intensity with focus on being relaxed/loose. To clarify, Throwing is just like playing catch, no windup/backswing; not off a rubber. I don't think your dd is proficient enough at Throwing underhand yet.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
If she is not leaning forward/bent at the waist on finish, she won't be able to throw like that. If she does the ball will go over the backstop

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
My opinion is your dd is just too tight out there. Throw more in practice up to a high intensity with focus on being relaxed/loose. To clarify, Throwing is just like playing catch, no windup/backswing; not off a rubber. I don't think your dd is proficient enough at Throwing underhand yet.
I totally think this will help. While playing catch I would not even be "working on" anything. Just relax have fun and play catch throwing underhand. Talk about anything but throwing. In small doses, I would also try throwing the mini Nerf football underhand and Skipping rocks on a pond.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I am not clear about whether the T-Rex arm is there all the time or just in games. You seem to be saying that she is taught proper form but doesn't always execute it. It's common for pitchers, especially younger ones, to lose form in games. If that is the issue and you are satisfied with her mechanics in practice and at lessons then a remedy for the arm problem would involve working on her mental approach, and there are ways to do that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles