Pitch Follow-Through, Which Way is Correct??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Greetings,

My daughter has been taught by a couple of different pitching instructors over the last few years in clinics and one-on-one settings. She is at the point right now that she requires a pitching coach to move to the next level.

My question or concern is related to the release or follow-through of the arm in the pitch. She has had instructors that tell her upon release of the ball - your right hand should follow through to your right shoulder (for right-handed pitchers). Others have instructed her that this is unnecessary and that her natural motion - coming somewhat across her chest - on an angle leftward is the way she's suppose to follow-through with her pitch.

If you get what I'm saying and have an opinion - help me out on this. Is there a right or wrong way? Does it matter?

Thanks in advance.

AllDay

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Greetings,

My daughter has been taught by a couple of different pitching instructors over the last few years in clinics and one-on-one settings. She is at the point right now that she requires a pitching coach to move to the next level.

My question or concern is related to the release or follow-through of the arm in the pitch. She has had instructors that tell her upon release of the ball - your right hand should follow through to your right shoulder (for right-handed pitchers). Others have instructed her that this is unnecessary and that her natural motion - coming somewhat across her chest - on an angle leftward is the way she's suppose to follow-through with her pitch.

If you get what I'm saying and have an opinion - help me out on this. Is there a right or wrong way? Does it matter?

Thanks in advance.

AllDay

Red above ... incorrect.

Green above ... correct.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
If you are talking about moving to the next level, you need to understand something. What you do with the follow through AS you release the ball can have a big impact on adding ball spin rpm's and better movement on the particular movement pitch you are throwing.

What movement pitch are you talking about?

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
The best advice I can give you is to hang on and enjoy the ride...from the tidal wave of responses you are about to get. I've been there...it will hurt a little at first but in the end you will be smiling and feel enlightned. I can here the gang cracking their knuckles right now saying..."Honey, put some coffee on, I'm gonna be a while". Like Axe above said...let the games begin. I'll say it first...I/R.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
There is a thread called Internal Rotation that discusses the I/R method of delivery with some videos of the follow through.

There is also another thread called Arm Whip; that also has some nice slow motion videos of teh release and follow through.

I would sift through these as a place to start...they helped me tremendously.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
If somebody can just put the slo mo of Amanda Scarborough up. That would be a good guide, despite the fact she teaches HE her follow through is IR. I will add that a PC I took my dd to was taught HE and tore the tricep from the bone trying to use that release.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom