Pitch Follow-Through, Which Way is Correct??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
In addition to this site, I like fastpitchpower.com - very practical advice, great training advice as well.
Carly from fastpitchpower also posts to DFP and is very helpful.
This link does not address follow through, but has good still images of the position of the arm/hand/ball through the back side of the circle, if you explore the site, you can see they teach green follow through style
A Breakdown of Arm and Hand Position in the Windmill Pitch - Fastpitch Power

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
In addition to this site, I like fastpitchpower.com - very practical advice, great training advice as well.
Carly from fastpitchpower also posts to DFP and is very helpful.
This link does not address follow through, but has good still images of the position of the arm/hand/ball through the back side of the circle, if you explore the site, you can see they teach green follow through style
A Breakdown of Arm and Hand Position in the Windmill Pitch - Fastpitch Power

I second this! Carlys Dad has some great videos with excellent explanation...IMO.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
More Green follow-through
I can't understand Japanese- but video is good and I think this instructors mechanics are very fluid.
Anyway, I have seen several instructional videos where the verbal description of the mechanics (e.g.HE) is clearly different from the motion (IR) that is being demonstrated. In this video, you can turn the sound off and watch, this follow-thru is where you should be going with your DD IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqT6uvqRCto

Last edited:

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
LOL When it comes to some of these video examples,,, maybe we should have a different forrum just for those who play by the ISC rules and umpires.

Jul 14, 2008
IR brings the fingers to inside of the ball. The traditional curveball has the fingersand rotating in a couter-clockwise rotation around the side and front of the ball. IR brings the hand / fingers rotating clockwise behind the ball producing a clockwise spin.

To correct coach Hal's assertion........I/R mechanics PUT the hand under.......and fingers behind the ball. The starting position for most every movement pitch in the game........ESPECIALLY curve ball.........

From this universal I/R position, the fingers can rotate around the ball for curve...........

2q06e6b.gif

Under the ball for rise..........

fycxtz.gif

Inside the ball for screw.........

9usvo3.gif

Up the back of the ball for peel and/or roll drop........

2lblwjm.gif

And allows for early rotation over the top of the circle, to the outside, and/or front, for various change ups such as flip, horseshoe and others.........

Image limitation here prevented a clip of the Smith flip change.........I'll show it in the next post.........

So yes........Internal Rotation mechanics are UNIVERSAL in ALL high level pitchers in fastpitch for maximized whip and spin manipulation on most all movement pitches.......For both Men AND Women.........

Anyone who tells you different, might need to rely on "sneaky" pitching tactics to make up for lack of optimum movement/velocity.........

Consider this a "recommendation" for Hal's book.......If necessity dictates..........

Jul 14, 2008
The Smith flip change transitions over the top to elbow facing up/bicep facing down/forward, vs. elbow down/bicep up.......Which effectively limits I/R to the wrist allowing for the flip change release........

2jcikvo.gif

But there is STILL I/R and pronation as the fingers move from the back to the front through release........

2a7vcro.gif

Every pitch should be thrown with I/R dictating the mechanics.........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd