Pauley vs Tincher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2014
I was just pointing out that the players in the pic have what I would consider a form of trigger for release.
so in a proper IR pitch, the upper arm decelerates and stabilizes and then the forearm and hand pass it up until release. Given that, it is impossible for the upper arm to serve as a trigger, because the ball is already gone by the time the upper arm goes past the side.

Aug 21, 2008
Interesting question, but completely hypothetical.

Athletes are ridiculously superstitious about what they wear during a game. Pitchers are the worst.

My DD refused to wear a long sleeve shirt when pitching, even in Chicagoland in March during snow flurries and a 20MPH wind. (I would be wearing a parka, a knit hat, gloves, sweater and scarf...and she would be on the mound in her short sleeve shirt.) She got into an argument with her D1 coach over the same thing...and my DD won the argument.

I wore the same pair of underwear every game I pitched for about 5 consecutive years. LOL. (Yes, I washed them between but always wore them).

Nov 25, 2012
USA
you cannot tell what is hitting what with that angle. Cannot believe you are trying to use this angle as proof for your opinion.
He can because he has seen it thousands of times. He knows what he is seeing and knows what is going to happen next. Why? Because he has many years in the game.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
so in a proper IR pitch, the upper arm decelerates and stabilizes and then the forearm and hand pass it up until release. Given that, it is impossible for the upper arm to serve as a trigger, because the ball is already gone by the time the upper arm goes past the side.

BI triggers the release phase of the pitch, which culminates in the release. It doesn't directly trigger release.

As you point out, in IR, throughout most of the circle, the upper arm. At release, the forearm and upper arm are more or less aligned with the palm facing home plate.

At 7:30 or so, the upper arm is leading the forearm. The palm of the hand is up. The hips are not in their final position. The glove hand is pointed toward the plate.

The BI signals the body to:
1) Decelerate the upper arm, which causes the lower arm to accelerate.
2) Start rotating the hand so that the palm is facing home plate.
3) Finish closing the hips to 45 degrees.
4) Start the glove hand down for adduction.

BI allows the body to synchronize all these complex motions. After a lot of practice, the body develops a learned reflex triggered by BI, making control much, much easier. Arm speed is much less a factor with BI.

Without BI, the arm is "in space". The body/brain has no reference for the position of the arm, so it has to time everything. The big problem is that a pitcher tires over the course of a game and season...so her arm speed goes down, throwing off her timing. Pitchers without BI tend to get wild when the game/season is the on the line.

It could be done...Hightower clearly doesn't have brush.

I don't believe Hightower will be effective in the post-season. Walton seems to be hedging on Hightower...he has a real relief pitcher.

Rick told me about BI and control several years ago, and I started watching for BI. Boy, was he right. Eventually, it catches up with the pitchers.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
@texasheat are good. We're having a friendly discussion. I appreciate that he pointed out Hightower to me. I never looked at her before. She has a really good rise.

Hoyer5060

Sometimes you win, sometime you learn.
May 2, 2021
I think no one can brush in this situation. But she has learned to handle this.

Attachments

• snap-2021-05-08-12h45m40s786.png
    snap-2021-05-08-12h45m40s786.png
    75 KB · Views: 33
  • snap-2021-05-08-12h47m01s943.jpg
    snap-2021-05-08-12h47m01s943.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 32
Mar 28, 2014
Usually, the upper arm comes into contact with the side. For an old man like me, the upper arm contacts the torso ("torso" is a polite way of saying belly).
Ok so forgive me but this contradicts the definition you give in the BI Sticky in which you say "Brush interference is contact of the throwing arm with the hip prior to release". https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/brush-inteference.24862/

This is what is confusing me. Based on your definition in the Sticky thread, the only part of the arm that can serve as the trigger is the lower arm (the arm below the elbow) since it is physiologically impossible for a girl to have a humerus that extends below her hip. So when you talk about the upper arm, as you do in the above post, it's contradictory. This is why I give you pics of pitchers whose forearm is clearly not in contact with their hip as evidence of high level pitchers who don't do BI but am still confused when you say they are using brush. By your own definition in the Sticky, they are not using brush. So it seems as if you are moving the goalposts on your definition of brush. Hence my responses.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020
Very nice conversation here. Minus the mindless drone cheerleaders who have seen it a gazillion times.

Thanks texasheat and sluggers. Im more in the texasheat camp still of skepticism.

Looking forward to clarification by the sages. Regardless, I think we're looking for a very minute clarification here. Maybe arguing about the "number of angels that could fit on a pinhead" type stuff.

PS. Check out valerie cagle(maybe my favorite pitcher). They need some better cameras on her! Too fast even at .25 on youtube.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06