Pauley vs Tincher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
Ask Tincher pitchers about the use of hip and stride angles as the basis for movement pitches versus release differences, especially on curve and drop balls...there’s your major difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
and yet still no answer. Lol.............
Your failure to understand perplexes me.

Some my consider it a failing on your part for not reading and thinking about what I wrote . Or, think that you are a little off for clinging to this topic like a leech who just found a Dallas Cowboy lineman.

Not so! I say to all that the fault is entirely mine. My softball argot has proven to be insufficient to elucidate my ruminations on the weighty and complex subject of BI. I must retire from this endeavor, bloodied but unbowed.

In short, I'm tired of ramming my head into a stone wall.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018
Since this was supposed to be a Pauly vs. Tincher discussion, I'll offer that regardless of how @sluggers defines it, Pauly instructors use "brush trigger" which is a key building block of good control, and it is basically described as the soft spot of the forearm just past the elbow brushing the hip when then also pronating the forearm finishing release. I think this is similar to a Tincher release phase though perhaps brush itself is not emphasized? I don't have any way of knowing that though - I don't know any personally. It's my belief that proper posture requires brush interference, but exceptional athletes can pitch well for a very long time without it. Some find other ways like a crow hop --others are just very big and strong!

Aug 21, 2008
Rick Pauly, Rich Balswick, and Mike Muhleisen (Javasource) spent almost 5 years studying best pitching techniques and how to teach them. Terminology evolves. Rick calls 'Brush Interference' 'Brush Trigger' now.

Here is a link to Boardmember's information on Internal Rotation.
Internal Rotation (IR) by Boardmember (google.com)

Bears, lest we forget, Balswick was one of the best pitchers in the world during his career. I have no doubt, like all of us, he had to learn how to teach what he did so well. But, I'm also confident a lot of what he teaches is based off the mechanics, techniques, strategies and experiences he had as a phenomenal pitcher. This isn't meant to knock Pauly or Java... it's only meant as praise for one of the game's greats.

Jan 22, 2011
Bears, lest we forget, Balswick was one of the best pitchers in the world during his career. I have no doubt, like all of us, he had to learn how to teach what he did so well. But, I'm also confident a lot of what he teaches is based off the mechanics, techniques, strategies and experiences he had as a phenomenal pitcher. This isn't meant to knock Pauly or Java... it's only meant as praise for one of the game's greats.

Agree Bill. My DD stopped pitching after 1st year 14u, but worked with Rich for about two years. I was lucky she wasn't too messed up on form because a friend pointed me in the direction of your DVDs when my DD was 5. Just some of what you were saying didn't fully click until I saw it demonstrated live at the 2016 Indiana clinic. Sometimes takes a while for things to penetrate my thick Irish-Swede skull. Unfortunately my DW wouldn't let her miss a day of school to attend. I flew out from California to meet you and schedule a lesson with Rich. Tried to a few times to get my DD hooked up with you for a lesson, but schedules never worked out.

A pitcher on my DD's HS team still works with Rich, as well as a pitcher on her club team last year.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
@texasheat--you keep missing the point. There is brush block and brush trigger (which I referred to as brush fire). Those are two different concepts.

I am flattered that you would try to dig into my background. especially when you could have saved yourself a lot work by sending me a personal message. (Reminds me of when we had one poster stalking another poster and videotaping his DD.)

In any event, your information about me is completely wrong. I've never lived in Georgia. The only PC work I've done is as a coach of rec or TB teams. I have been through the difficult process of helping my DD become a decent D1 pitcher.

Pauly instructors use "brush trigger" which is a key building block of good control, and it is basically described as the soft spot of the forearm just past the elbow brushing the hip when then also pronating the forearm finishing release.
If that is the definition Rick uses, then that is the correct definition.

Bears, lest we forget, Balswick was one of the best pitchers in the world during his career.
Balswick teaches brush trigger. As far as I can tell, he does not teach brush block. Go to 1:10 of the video.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018
So yes pitcher parents, as I showed and proved earlier, even though @sluggers won't admit it and changes his definition of BI to fit his narrative,. there are lots of pitchers that do not use BI and have good accuracy. He will try to use hyperbole and state about only 1 out of 1000 pitchers will succeed without it with no evidence to back up his claims, It is not an absolute and it is not even scientifically proven. It's a theory created by 1 guy. A pitching coach who coached a few years at Georgia. Even though others will point out that it is mainly a by-product of good posture and a good arm circle, lots of folks here latched onto it as the gospel and will attack anyone that tries to say otherwise. If your DD struggles with executing BI, do not quit. Do not give up. She can still be successful.
Clarifying my professional opinion so my words aren't too twisted: Good posture and a good arm circle are in fact the "gospel" that I'm sworn to uphold, and to not brush with good posture and arm path is anatomically impossible. Is pitching impossible without proper posture and brush, of course not. Is good pitching impossible, again no. Is Elite pitching possible - yes, but it's rare, and I would argue often times unhealthy, especially for the lower back and shoulder.

Also - as a pitching coach myself, I agree....if your daughter is struggling with brush/posture, don't give up. Give it time. Learn. Find one inefficiency at a time with her motion and work on that. #1 thing is posture in my opinion....and in my opinion, proper posture leads to brush.