Pauley vs Tincher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
Our Tincher instructors have suggested 2 seam fastballs, but my daughter refuses to do that on a regular basis. She has great control with her 4 seam. No control with the 2 seam. Our instructors over the years have not cared one way or another other than to suggest it occasionally.

I'd be curious of their rationale behind choosing a 2 seam vs. 4 seam. The side to side movement of a 2 seam can also be done with 4 seams, it just seems easier because pitcher unintentionally adds more finger pressure with 2 seams. And for me, the 2 seam sideways movement doesn't compensate for the hitter's ability to see the rotation much more clearly with 2 seams vs. 4. A good hitter, with a composite bat, hitting an oversized golfball, that can clearly see the rotation early has the advantage. Parents can't be deceived into believing what works at 12u will work at 16u or above. This thought process is the downfall of many potentially VERY good pitchers.

Jan 6, 2018
I'd be curious of their rationale behind choosing a 2 seam vs. 4 seam. The side to side movement of a 2 seam can also be done with 4 seams, it just seems easier because pitcher unintentionally adds more finger pressure with 2 seams. And for me, the 2 seam sideways movement doesn't compensate for the hitter's ability to see the rotation much more clearly with 2 seams vs. 4. A good hitter, with a composite bat, hitting an oversized golfball, that can clearly see the rotation early has the advantage. Parents can't be deceived into believing what works at 12u will work at 16u or above. This thought process is the downfall of many potentially VERY good pitchers.
We ditched the 2 seam in favor of 4 at 14U. Loved the movement, but was getting launched too easily when she left it up. 4 seam gets more grounders, and now that the rise is in use more swing and miss. Plus when she really spins it it goes down and out!

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
DD’s initial PC has a few non-negotiables. Strong break, staying balanced, don’t slow down.....and the 4-seam. The last one is more a joke....but not really. Pretty much for all of reasons Mr Hillhouse mentioned above.

With the 4-seam even if DD doesn’t nail it right the ball still moves down for her. Causing many a weak grounder or swing and miss.

Oct 4, 2018
Our Tincher instructors have suggested 2 seam fastballs, but my daughter refuses to do that on a regular basis. She has great control with her 4 seam. No control with the 2 seam. Our instructors over the years have not cared one way or another other than to suggest it occasionally.

We had that conversation with our new Tincher instructor just last week. My DD always pitched 4-seam. We tried 2-seam and it did dance a bit. Instructor (both past and present) were fine with either, or both.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06