Pauley vs Tincher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2019
Does anyone know what the difference is in what they teach? They both teach IR but what are the differences in philosophy?

Nov 8, 2018
Does anyone know what the difference is in what they teach? They both teach IR but what are the differences in philosophy?

That’s a great question. Unless you’ve studied with both it’s hard to know. Tincher is a bit secretive. Just from observation it appears that Tincher has much less brush contact than a Pauley pitcher.
Macro view.
There are other more experienced people here that can shed more light than I.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
...a bit secretive...interesting teaching method.

Nov 18, 2015
I think the brush contact is a good example.

I also wonder if Tincher’s definition of brush is different. I’ve had one Tincher instructor ask something like ”why would you want to hit your hip?”. Well, sure, if you put it like that, no one would want BI!

I thought “brush” was self-explanatory, but obviously not.

Jan 28, 2017
Coach Pauly teaches out of glove and swing back. I think, Tincher only teaches swing back.

Gags- saw a video about slotting the arm or something like that that was vert close to brush.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I have been fortunate to have spent a lot of time with Rick and only one lesson with Denny and a couple phone calls.
I'm sure the differences are subtle but significant.
Tincher.... No brush, looooong stride, no reference to arm stabilization, no details of control.

Pauly... Brush trigger, midline compression, quick and powerful stride, lots of spine angle control.

The load and backswing is a preference and is not a mandatory subject with Rick...

Jul 14, 2018
DD has been doing Tincher for a few years, and brush is absolutely part of their training. There might be a few Tincher instructors out there who got the certification and then just go off and do their own thing, but DD has done a few clinics with Denny himself and brush is part of the standard routine.

I have heard Tincher instructors specifically say “why would you want to hit yourself?” But it’s always been about slapping the glove hand. Glove blocking is a big part of what they teach.

Tincher.... No brush, looooong stride, no reference to arm stabilization, no details of control.

The stride difference sounds right. DD does have a very long stride, and it’s something they work on.

Again with regards to the brush: real control is impossible without brush, if Tincher pitchers were walk artists nobody would pay for their lessons. DD averages less than two per seven innings.

DD has eliminated her backswing completely since starting Tincher.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas

Hmm.

Without brush, there is little hope for a kid developing excellent control with different pitches.

My big complaint with Denny is buzzwords. Buzzwords confuse me.

I always liked @BoardMember 's explanation as to what he used the term IR: "Because that is the anatomically correct term for it."

Oct 4, 2018
That’s a great question. Unless you’ve studied with both it’s hard to know. Tincher is a bit secretive. Just from observation it appears that Tincher has much less brush contact than a Pauley pitcher.
Macro view.
There are other more experienced people here that can shed more light than I.

I'd agree with that. Tincher wants brush but doesn't spend much time on it. And doesn't want obnoxious amounts.

We do Tincher and from what I've read about both methods, they have far more in common than they have different. In fact, there might be very, very little that's different.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478