Newbie pitcher video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Looking good there!

Question, eyes? Maybe it's just the drill itself or personal opinions, but when DD was this age I always emphasized "eyes to target". Even when she was drilling into a net 20' away in the garage.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
I asked why she was looking that way and she said she was watching her arm motion in the reflection in the window. Seemed to help her out a little......

When does she need to move on to the arm circle? Does she wait until she does what we are doing perfectly every time or can she starts "easing" into it??

Thank you!!

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I asked why she was looking that way and she said she was watching her arm motion in the reflection in the window. Seemed to help her out a little......

I can understand that. I was just curious if it was part of the drill. Gotta ask one more thing. What surface is that, dry river bed or worked crop field?

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Bermuda grass (our backyard) We had an early freeze this year so it has all went dormant. A month ago it looked like a golf course!! We live in Oklahoma......

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Bermuda grass (our backyard) We had an early freeze this year so it has all went dormant. A month ago it looked like a golf course!! We live in Oklahoma......

Oh ok. Looks like our dry river beds here in TN. We have hay fields for horses, I know how temps can kill ya. Lost 60 acres of drilled seeds one year on a late frost, hurt my wallet big time. :(

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Our latest practice......Does her arm need to extend a little further down when she is about to release the ball? She pitched 10 pitches tonight (because she has been working SO hard on these drills and really wanted to pitch), I videod her and the HE is longer there but she straightens out her arm and is still pushing it. Her arm is so much more relaxed and threw harder than she ever has and with more accuracy but still not carrying over the drills into the full pitch. Should I keep letting her do the full pitch along with the drills and try to get her to focus on carrying over the things she has learned from the drills into the pitch? Or should we just keep drilling.....? We really appreciate everyones advice..........She is getting better and she (and I) enjoy seeing progress....

102812 - YouTube
102812lp - YouTube

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Her arm is so much more relaxed and threw harder than she ever has and with more accuracy but still not carrying over the drills into the full pitch.

Almost like we know what we are talking about...

The process is:

(1) She pitches with good form.
(2) You encourage her to throw with more effort.
(3) Her form breaks down.
(4) She does a few drills to get her form back.
(5) Go to Step 1.

So, when she has got the form down in the drill, have her pitch. Her form will disintegrate after a while. You then have her do drills until she gets her form back. Then have her pitch. You rotate back and forth between drills and pitching.

End each practice session with her pitching and throwing well.

One drill to work on with her is "playing pitch and catch underhanded". In this drill, you and her play pitch and catch with her throwing underhanded. You don't let her take a windup. You are about 40 feet from her. You stand up and she tosses the ball to you using good form. (It always seems weird...baseball pitchers can play pitch and catch, but somehow many softball pitchers can't do it underhanded).

Oct 1, 2012
Our latest practice......Does her arm need to extend a little further down when she is about to release the ball? She pitched 10 pitches tonight (because she has been working SO hard on these drills and really wanted to pitch), I videod her and the HE is longer there but she straightens out her arm and is still pushing it. Her arm is so much more relaxed and threw harder than she ever has and with more accuracy but still not carrying over the drills into the full pitch. Should I keep letting her do the full pitch along with the drills and try to get her to focus on carrying over the things she has learned from the drills into the pitch? Or should we just keep drilling.....? We really appreciate everyones advice..........She is getting better and she (and I) enjoy seeing progress....

102812 - YouTube
102812lp - YouTube

IMHO Yes, she should getter deeper at the bottom of her whip. One thing that will help that is to have her focus on "getting fast" to the bottom. As far as the full pitching along with the drills...I don't see anything wrong with incorporating both but don't let her throw just to throw...continue to emphasis the drills within the full circle. IMHO. Good luck.

Oct 1, 2012
Almost like we know what we are talking about...

The process is:

(1) She pitches with good form.
(2) You encourage her to throw with more effort.
(3) Her form breaks down.
(4) She does a few drills to get her form back.
(5) Go to Step 1.

So, when she has got the form down in the drill, have her pitch. Her form will disintegrate after a while. You then have her do drills until she gets her form back. Then have her pitch. You rotate back and forth between drills and pitching.

End each practice session with her pitching and throwing well.

One drill to work on with her is "playing pitch and catch underhanded". In this drill, you and her play pitch and catch with her throwing underhanded. You don't let her take a windup. You are about 40 feet from her. You stand up and she tosses the ball to you using good form. (It always seems weird...baseball pitchers can play pitch and catch, but somehow many softball pitchers can't do it underhanded).

Completely agree! much better explanation than mine. This is exactly how I approach my daughters practice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g