Newbie pitcher video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Boomers2012,
Apologies for the hijack. Hopefully you're getting what she needs and I'm hoping others will jump in and provide input to straighten out our disagreement.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
No worries KenB! I like reading the discussion. I appreciate the input.......We practiced a little tonight but I wasnt able to get any video. She seems to be more relaxed and it defenitley makes a big difference when her arm is "loose". We are not doing anything other than the motion without the ball and then some with a ball into a net. She told me she can "feel" her arm whipping which puts the smile back on her face, which makes it alot easier to keep her focused and enthuised about working on this! I will get some video tomorrow. We really appreciate it!!

Jun 24, 2009
stand up and rest arms your by side just hanging, now rise your arms up as if you are ref. giving the field goal sign in football,which way are your palms facing, out,not torwards your head,they are relaxed and no tension in your arms. Now turn your palms towards your head. The muscles now have tension, so why would what to create tension in your shoulders and arms by having them facing towards the catcher, when plams at 3rd has no tension,relaxed. IMO of course

Dont forget the position your shoulders are facing when the ball is about the 12 o'clock position. As for your experiment my palms face between turned in and facing the catcher. When I turn my shoulders to about a 45 degree angle palm is facing the catcher.Me and you are not wired the same.

Jan 25, 2011
She looks real good, she looks like she is working real hard and having fun. Just remember if she throws to the left or right, when pitching to you, that is mech., high and low pitches are release. Just make sure you take breaks often and praise her just as often. If she starts to struggle, call it a day and go play something fun.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Definitely better!. If she's got the 12:00 down, you might play catch with her--don't use the bucket yet. I'd suggest sticking with the net when she's ready to add the circle and later the drive.

Oct 1, 2012
She looks real good, she looks like she is working real hard and having fun. Just remember if she throws to the left or right, when pitching to you, that is mech., high and low pitches are release. Just make sure you take breaks often and praise her just as often. If she starts to struggle, call it a day and go play something fun.

I concur! She is coming along nicely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 25, 2011
when my dd and I were about to wrap it up for the day, when she was first starting to pitch. I would tell her to pretend that a really good player was up to bat. I would tell her it was somebody like Bustos batting and she had to pitch to her and I would call balls and strikes, having a large strike zone. I would act like the batter fouled one off real deep, but foul, you know make it fun. She would be asking what the count was, maybe she would throw one up and in and I would pretend to talk to the batter, take it easy she wasnt trying to hit you, stuff like that. She loved it when we did that at the end of practice. Keep it fun and she will be begging you to go and practice and at the same time building a great relationship.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g