Newbie pitcher video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2009
I think the second pitch is getting closer. I think the elbow needs to lead all the way to the hip. The hand will not start to rotate until then. Compare your video to Scarborough's Power Drive Commercial.

One thing I like to focus on is being loose and not trying to throw the ball. Key words are staying loose or limp like a whip. A whip needs no muscle along any of its eight feet to create a supersonic boom at it's tip. The pitching arm really only need the shoulder muscles to rotate the arm, and the muscles to hold on to the ball until it releases. A good pitcher converts all of the energy from her leg drive, along with a good circle, into the whip that's timed with the foot plant.

I think this is good advise.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
I appreciate the help from everyone. I think she is close to "getting it" Based on what she did tonight, I think her arm needs to come all the way down before she releases it??? If you see anything else, please let me know. She is trying SO hard to "get it" It kills me to see her upset when it doesnt work........again, thank you.

octo22 - YouTube
102212 - YouTube

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
So very close! I'd love to see her throw into a net and not focus so much on trying to hit a glove. She's short arming to hit her glove. Give her a tarp or net so she can relax and loosen up! I love her hard work. Must have proud parents!

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
One thing I would change is at 12:00 clock have the ball facing torwards 3rd,not torwards the catcher. Stand up where you are and pretend to hold a ball or hold a ball and feel the difference in the two, torwards 3rd makes the arm more relaxed and free flowing. Torwards the catcher is more restrictive and tight, she looks like she has her wrist cocked when she has it the ball facing the catcher.In the first video it looks like her hip is closing to soon to. The hip closes after the arm goes thru, not before or during. Hip follows the arm.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2012
102403 - YouTube
102401 - YouTube

Still working on it. She is having a hard time "getting it". Not sure what else to do.........

Like KenB said...she is getting closer. Just stay with it and progress is inevitable! She's may not "feel it" but its happening... Its all a process and you will continue to tweak and adjust little by little before it all comes together. Nice job!! The ride will get bumpy for her at times for sure.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Trouble getting it!?!? She's got it! Keep at it. Over and over until she can do it in her sleep. Have her look at herself in the video and tell her, "Good job!"

I'd stick with the ball facing the catcher at 12. That's where it will naturally be during the pitch. Turning to 3B actually puts the hand in a forced position. I thought the hips looked like they were moving naturally and did not see any effort to close them. In full motion, she would be release right about where she is right now, so unless I'm way off base, I don't see a need to try to change what seems to be happening naturally.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
Trouble getting it!?!? She's got it! Keep at it. Over and over until she can do it in her sleep. Have her look at herself in the video and tell her, "Good job!"

I'd stick with the ball facing the catcher at 12. That's where it will naturally be during the pitch. Turning to 3B actually puts the hand in a forced position. I thought the hips looked like they were moving naturally and did not see any effort to close them. In full motion, she would be release right about where she is right now, so unless I'm way off base, I don't see a need to try to change what seems to be happening naturally.
have to completly disagree putting the ball towards the catcher is more of a forced position,also creates a cocking of the wrist. Torwards 3rd is a more relaxed position.In the videos you can see that the hip is closing at or some what before the arm has passed the hips. Hips follow the arm or release of the ball,so not to have to pitch around the hips. I guess we will have to agree to disagree.I dont think the girl looks bad, but is on her way to real good mech.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi