Newbie pitcher video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 23, 2012
Landing at 90 will = knee problems at older age.
Get rid of the glove swim and landing at 90 and you have a good young pitcher.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Video from the side? From what I can tell, she's not using her glove at all in her stride. The glove should push out hard and reach for the catcher. I like to see the glove stay out reaching during the stride/glide stage, which she lacks. From the video, it looks like she steps and plants. No leap and drag going on. A side video would help to see if this is the case. Here's an example of the stride/glide stage:

628x471.jpg

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Video from the side? From what I can tell, she's not using her glove at all in her stride. The glove should push out hard and reach for the catcher. I like to see the glove stay out reaching during the stride/glide stage, which she lacks. From the video, it looks like she steps and plants. No leap and drag going on. A side video would help to see if this is the case. Here's an example of the stride/glide stage:

View attachment 3268

KenB, I totally agree. We are going to pitch tonight and I will get som side view vids and post later this evening. We appreciate the input......

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
KenB, we decided to work out of the K position this evening as she was not doing so well with landing at a 45 degree angle with the plant foot from the rubber. This one is hopefully closer to the desired result. The glove swim is still an ongoing issue but I dont want to work on too many things at once.
I received some feedback about my DD's follow through/finish. I didnt think it was a big deal but thought I would pose the question to the group. Since we began working on dragging that back foot through, she has begun to follow through with her arm and the plant foot rotates from the plant position to the toe pointing to the catcher thus squaring her hips/body to the catcher. I was told that isnt correct form and we needed to correct it. Im not sure when and why she started doing this but I didnt really think it was wrong. What do you think? Anyway, I do think most stems from her push or lack thereof. Please let me know what you think. Thanks again.

Feb022213 - YouTube

1exn2u.gif

Jun 24, 2009
KenB, we decided to work out of the K position this evening as she was not doing so well with landing at a 45 degree angle with the plant foot from the rubber. This one is hopefully closer to the desired result. The glove swim is still an ongoing issue but I dont want to work on too many things at once.
I received some feedback about my DD's follow through/finish. I didnt think it was a big deal but thought I would pose the question to the group. Since we began working on dragging that back foot through, she has begun to follow through with her arm and the plant foot rotates from the plant position to the toe pointing to the catcher thus squaring her hips/body to the catcher. I was told that isnt correct form and we needed to correct it. Im not sure when and why she started doing this but I didnt really think it was wrong. What do you think? Anyway, I do think most stems from her push or lack thereof. Please let me know what you think. Thanks again.

Feb022213 - YouTube

1exn2u.gif

Response to the foot turning toward catcher.And glove swim.
Sarah super slow motion single pitch.wmv - YouTube

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Does anyone know why my DD's throwing arm goes upward on her follow through? (Please see the vids above in my previous post on 2-22-2013). I really have never thought it was a big deal until I started noticing most all other pitchers finish with the arm pointing towards the catcher. I dont want to ask her to finish pointing to the catcher because I think that will cause her to tighten up her arm and slow her arm speed down. Is it something in her mechanics?? Do we even need to worry about it?? Thanks!!

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Does anyone know why my DD's throwing arm goes upward on her follow through? (Please see the vids above in my previous post on 2-22-2013). I really have never thought it was a big deal until I started noticing most all other pitchers finish with the arm pointing towards the catcher. I dont want to ask her to finish pointing to the catcher because I think that will cause her to tighten up her arm and slow her arm speed down. Is it something in her mechanics?? Do we even need to worry about it?? Thanks!!
Looked ok to me. As long as the whip is good and the follow through is loose and natural.

Jul 17, 2012
I agree with Ken....although it's a bit unconventional, it does not appear to affect her release. It almost appears as if she's forcing that release. It's not an ideal defensive position, so you may want to work on it, but I don't think it is affecting her release at all. The ball is long gone before that follow through can affect the ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi