Cat Osterman at 14YOA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
We had a discussion about what to work on for young pitchers.

IMHO, the emphasis should be on arm motion and posture (good posture and brush interference go hand in hand). After they get the correct arm and posture, then you can start working on leg drive.

I stumbled across this video of Osterman at 14YOA. She has *ZERO* leg drive. What does she have? Excellent arm motion, posture and front side resistance.

Feb 25, 2020
This is gold. Bitcoin even.

I think the way her stride leg works is the way everyone should be taught. It's easy to see here. She is bringing it(her foot) back underneath her. Not pushing her foot away. Teach young players to be bringing the front foot back under the pelvis! Not pushing the foot away. Suck it back underneath! It stands you straight up.

Jun 19, 2016
I have spoken to a contemporary of hers that knew her well and I don't think they started as early back then. They definitely didn't play the schedule young players do now. You might be looking at a pitcher who hasn't played one game of travel ball in her life at this point.

Feb 25, 2020
I have spoken to a contemporary of hers that knew her well and I don't think they started as early back then. They definitely didn't play the schedule young players do now. You might be looking at a pitcher who hasn't played one game of travel ball in her life at this point.

Would you say that motion is a good template for a 10u or even a newer/less developed 12u pitcher these days?

Jun 19, 2016
Would you say that motion is a good template for a 10u or even a newer/less developed 12u pitcher these days?
I kind of get what you are saying because my DD had no leg drive she was young but in no way would I ever show this to a young pitcher and say emulate this.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
After going thru alot of back and forth with my DD, I would say for sure it would be something to emulate. With the understanding that is not how the player will end up, but Cat is most likely getting 90% of potential speed here. The drive may create 10%, but the control that she probably has here totally would outway the lost speed.

The reason i state this is that my DD was put on radar a couple months ago throwing 55 with no stride at all, just focused on arm whip. She tops out at 60 at this point full pitch. I have seen her mechanics totally break down during full pitch, as others on this forum have mentioned at well......'she looks good just 'throwing' underhand....but full pitch terrible'...etc etc.

This thing i like most about this clip is how she looks visibly trying to 'pull up' her torso, or extend her hips. The arm is long loose and whippy into a good ir and brush. Those are the two absolutes in my opinion, and once you put a younger kid in full pitch mode, out comes monkey butt and no brush and little ir. I found that the drive being worked on last in the succession is probably a good plan. Just my opinion.

Jan 6, 2018
After going thru alot of back and forth with my DD, I would say for sure it would be something to emulate. With the understanding that is not how the player will end up, but Cat is most likely getting 90% of potential speed here. The drive may create 10%, but the control that she probably has here totally would outway the lost speed.

The reason i state this is that my DD was put on radar a couple months ago throwing 55 with no stride at all, just focused on arm whip. She tops out at 60 at this point full pitch. I have seen her mechanics totally break down during full pitch, as others on this forum have mentioned at well......'she looks good just 'throwing' underhand....but full pitch terrible'...etc etc.

This thing i like most about this clip is how she looks visibly trying to 'pull up' her torso, or extend her hips. The arm is long loose and whippy into a good ir and brush. Those are the two absolutes in my opinion, and once you put a younger kid in full pitch mode, out comes monkey butt and no brush and little ir. I found that the drive being worked on last in the succession is probably a good plan. Just my opinion.
That’s the formula I use. 90% at parallel (full circle with step), 85% for K drill. (11:00 in Back chain)
We use those benchmarks to make sure we’re warming up at the right energy level. Using a proper back chaining warm up eventually translates to proper mechanics at full stride...whenever core strength catches up to arm speed.

Mar 28, 2014
Cat started out by taking lessons from Tim Timmons who was a notorious "Step Style" teacher so what you are seeing is what she was being taught at the time.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
The arm is long loose and whippy into a good ir and brush. Those are the two absolutes in my opinion, and once you put a younger kid in full pitch mode, out comes monkey butt and no brush and little ir.
Great points! Some won't agree but you are correct. Great post!

S3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi