Need help/in game cut

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 15, 2011
DD has not hit the ball as well as she is capable. I think she needs to let the ball get deeper and keep her front shoulder from opening too soon. Interested in what anybody else thinks she needs to work on and what drills to do. Thanks for your help. Big tourney this weekend. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMgiXqoJfs8

May 28, 2013
My only experience, is my DD. Just looking, IMHO, I think that perhaps her setup/stance while she is seeing the pitch, is too noisy. And by that I mean the hips and the bat never really quit moving while she is starting her swing, resulting in a swing, that is not starting in the same place 2 swings in a row. That pitch was going to be hard to hit, regardless. BUT, with a BIG tourney coming so soon, a big change, which I think this might be for her, might be too much. As a solution? Plant yourself on a bucket, and do some tee work, working step by step through the swing, and the 'waggle' might go away on its own. This is where I would start with my own, given what I saw. I also, probably would beg her hitting coach for an emergency session the night before, if it was an option. Hope this is the kind of help you were looking for.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_o5yj8zQhLW1usf292o1_400.gif

May 20, 2015
Bat looks to be too flat to me. Tip and rip is a good drill to get a feel for a taller bat and turning the barrel. Just my SWAG using info I have gleaned from dfp :)

Based on this video, she is a wrist roller.
The bat path is that of a classic wrist roller.

Before anything else can be addressed, fix the wrist roll.
Use the open top hand drill daily until the problem has been fixed.
Tip and rip may help wrist rolling, I don't know however.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Based on this video, she is a wrist roller.
The bat path is that of a classic wrist roller.

Before anything else can be addressed, fix the wrist roll.
Use the open top hand drill daily until the problem has been fixed.
Tip and rip may help wrist rolling, I don't know however.

Not a "wrist roller".

2i21sed.gif

Sep 29, 2014
DD has not hit the ball as well as she is capable. I think she needs to let the ball get deeper and keep her front shoulder from opening too soon. Interested in what anybody else thinks she needs to work on and what drills to do. Thanks for your help. Big tourney this weekend. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMgiXqoJfs8

I don't think her problem is opening her shoulder to soon her problem is it is never really closed and there is zero separation. Getting her to understand the proper position at front foot plant could get her much better result really quickly. @FFS nailed it...I'm going to use two stills to demonstrate the same thing. I PROMISE the frame of your DD is once front heel is planted, most of us would guess she is already begun swinging or is a complete all back and all forward swinger who has leaked a lot of her power out by starting to soon but this is not the case, she has actually just not accomplished any tilt, reach back, separation whatever term you want to use. The weird thing is her bottom half and sequence is actually not that bad the tilt/separation piece is just missing, sometimes that is OK if you start pre loaded with tilt and separation then hold but she basically never leaves her starting stance with her upper body. Please ask more questions if you need a better explanation, this is an easy fix mechanically...how long it takes her to develop the muscle memory and execute is completely another matter.

It also shows the elbow issue that @FFS mentions

your DD

emmaplant.JPG

Model player

Miggyplant.JPG

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.

JMHO. This hitter is an 'all back all forward' hitter on this particular swing. I suspect also a DBSF(drop barrel and swing flat) hitter. I would like to see a swing with a ball lower in the zone.
I would have like to have seen a better bat/barrel path on this high in the zone pitch:
qVEo03.gif

More 'long through the ball'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pfpsoftball1028