Advice needed - 12U roster changes and playing time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2018
Sounds like 4 teams....and then kids who just practice and don't play....which to me means: If that was my kid you owe me money back.

I was thinking more of a team that practices a lot and plays friendlies often, where the action can stop and some teaching happens. But certainly, they need to play.

Realistically: They had try outs, took girls to make the teams and fill them up, with the plans of "upgrading" new girls as they came along. They will slowly weed out the first group of girls as new and better ones come along...... My advice, Run. And I hope you didn't pay for the whole season up front.

Unfortunately this might be closer to the truth of the matter. As stated above, when a big org shows up to a tournament and gets embarrassed, they hurt their ability to recruit new players. Then everyone loses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 24, 2021
Realistically: They had try outs, took girls to make the teams and fill them up, with the plans of "upgrading" new girls as they came along. They will slowly weed out the first group of girls as new and better ones come along...... My advice, Run. And I hope you didn't pay for the whole season up front.

Yep, this is exactly what it feels like happened. I believe they care very much about their big org reputation, and therefore winning matters more than development/loyalty. Even at the lowest level.

Unfortunately I did pay for the whole year up front as there was no other option. Honestly, the money is the least of my concerns. I just want her to play for coaches that care about her development, and most of all I just want her to play.

Oct 24, 2021
Responding to the point above about how dropping a level could be good:

I have mixed feelings.

On one hand, I agree. I just want her to play, not schlep around the state to ride the pine. If she drops to devo level, misses out on some tourneys but gets more playing time and can keep improving, then I am fine with that - as long as it’s enough game play to justify the effort and cost.

On the other, she spent all winter thinking she was on a team unit, getting to know the other girls and building rapport. And dropping down would take that away from her. But honestly the roster is already about 50% different from how it was over the winter so maybe that doesn’t matter.

Unfortunately right now she’s stuck in between. She hasn’t been cut but she’s clearly seen as expendable. So we’re pretty pessimistic about the remainder of the season.

May 1, 2018
Yep, this is exactly what it feels like happened. I believe they care very much about their big org reputation, and therefore winning matters more than development/loyalty. Even at the lowest level.

Unfortunately I did pay for the whole year up front as there was no other option. Honestly, the money is the least of my concerns. I just want her to play for coaches that care about her development, and most of all I just want her to play.

Well now is the time to start looking for a new team for the fall. Be looking and there is several "what to ask at tryouts" threads.

Oct 24, 2021
Did you attend practices? How are practices run? Are they quick paced and snappy? Are they getting good instruction? This is where true development occurs.

If I were a parent that was paying for only practice...Well you know. Geez. So Bizarre. Hey kid, You suck, therefore you don't get to play games.

So y'all formed in November and haven't played ANY games until recently? Does your area not have a spring season? So confusing. And tryouts are in a few weeks? Usually org tryouts start after the very last National tourney is played. Tryouts usually in Aug.

With all that said, 12U teams will have a huge range of skills and lots of lumps will be taken and given.

Take notes on other teams that y'all are playing. Where would your DD fit on those teams? How is the coaching? Watch and chat with parents on those teams.

I feel like there is a lot of missing information.

We weren’t allowed into indoor practice due to Covid so I didn’t get to see them until we got outside in May. We’re in the northeast so our season doesn’t start until then. We’ve had a couple of scrimmages, first tourney was last weekend.

Tryouts here are in July. No clue why they are so early.

Oct 4, 2018
Responding to the point above about how dropping a level could be good:

I have mixed feelings.

On one hand, I agree. I just want her to play, not schlep around the state to ride the pine. If she drops to devo level, misses out on some tourneys but gets more playing time and can keep improving, then I am fine with that - as long as it’s enough game play to justify the effort and cost.

On the other, she spent all winter thinking she was on a team unit, getting to know the other girls and building rapport. And dropping down would take that away from her. But honestly the roster is already about 50% different from how it was over the winter so maybe that doesn’t matter.

Unfortunately right now she’s stuck in between. She hasn’t been cut but she’s clearly seen as expendable. So we’re pretty pessimistic about the remainder of the season.

Having witnessed it 100 times, girls make new friends on a new team pretty fast. Even shy girls only take a few tournaments to start feeling comfortable with new girls. If your daughter is at all out-going, it'll be fine. And it'll happen often in travel softball.

I think there's a lot of benefit to being one of the best players on a team, at least at first. More playing time, more reps, more confidence-building.

I'd find a team where that can happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802