NCAA bans fun in the dugouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
So if I understand correctly the NCAA feels compelled to take action to stop the shenanigans in the dugout in order to show respect and preserve the integrity of the game. But they lack the testicular fortitude to call an illegal pitch? Got news for them, the game is already a joke. The antics in the dugout are perfect representation of the integrity of the game.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
What money? TV? I wonder if the TV folks have made an issue of it.

Yep, TV money. It's not there yet, obviously, but ESPN has more coverage every year and the NCAA is pretty good at finding revenue streams. They're just getting in early, making sure the product is marketable outside of the fastpicth community. The NCAA takes a long view, and the current ESPN contract ends in only 7 years. If we look at the growth in coverage of college fastpitch, plus the possibility of CBS Sports maybe wanting to add college to their NPF coverage, it makes sense for the NCAA to set the tone now.

JMO, YMMV and all that.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Yep, TV money. It's not there yet, obviously, but ESPN has more coverage every year and the NCAA is pretty good at finding revenue streams. They're just getting in early, making sure the product is marketable outside of the fastpicth community. The NCAA takes a long view, and the current ESPN contract ends in only 7 years. If we look at the growth in coverage of college fastpitch, plus the possibility of CBS Sports maybe wanting to add college to their NPF coverage, it makes sense for the NCAA to set the tone now.

JMO, YMMV and all that.

I think that the money is obviously already there. Disney/ESPN does not do anything that does not make money today with the potential for even more tomorrow. I doubt CBS will be much of a player and certainly not a threat as they lack the network. Something where Disney/ESPN is light years ahead of anyone especially now that they are in bed with both Amazon and Microsoft.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
I think that the money is obviously already there. Disney/ESPN does not do anything that does not make money today with the potential for even more tomorrow. I doubt CBS will be much of a player and certainly not a threat as they lack the network. Something where Disney/ESPN is light years ahead of anyone especially now that they are in bed with both Amazon and Microsoft.

The ESPN contract is for pretty much all college sports, so I don't know that fastpitch is contributing a lot to the revenue stream currently. And I get what you're saying about CBS, but in 7 years who knows? Long view.

Oct 29, 2015
No Clowning Around Allowed
No Costumes Athletic Association
No Cheers Are Allowed
Nobody Can Act Animated
No Celebrating Against Adversity

Aug 30, 2015
I'm unplugged and can't watch any games except old games on YouTube.

Watched one the other night and was a bit surprised/turned off by how crazy some of the girls were acting especially at the mid-game interview.

I love most everything about the sport including the better attitudes and more "jovial" disposition of the young women in general.

However, like most things, people's common sense filter degrades and things are taken to the extreme.

You can't legislate or make rules about common sense so you have to have all of it or none of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi