Riseball physics and the Media?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Hello All.

I've been away from the Forum for a number of years,
but read this excerpt in a MLB context today,
and it sparked the question:

"Yamamoto releases the ball from a low arm slot and has exceptional carry on his fastball, meaning its pure backspin causes it to drop less than a batter expects, so it looks as if it were rising."

Have the NCAA Fastpitch Media come around on the actual physics of a "riseball", yet?
Or are Michelle Smith and the like still describing magic tricks...
I'm just curious.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Welcome back.

No, the Hair is still describing magic tricks. Every pitch thrown is this, that, or the other thing despite the fact it has bullet spin.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I know I am in Ihe minority but I like her voice as an announcer. She bring enthusiasm and she is good for the game, IMO. Yeah, the pitch calling and some of the exaggeration might bother the softball experts but for the casual viewers she keeps it exciting.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Welcome back.

No, the Hair is still describing magic tricks. Every pitch thrown is this, that, or the other thing despite the fact it has bullet spin.
It's even more amazing since she's watching from an extra 30-50 feet back and elevated another 10-20 feet in the pressbox.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Hello All.

I've been away from the Forum for a number of years,
but read this excerpt in a MLB context today,
and it sparked the question:

"Yamamoto releases the ball from a low arm slot and has exceptional carry on his fastball, meaning its pure backspin causes it to drop less than a batter expects, so it looks as if it were rising."

Have the NCAA Fastpitch Media come around on the actual physics of a "riseball", yet?
Or are Michelle Smith and the like still describing magic tricks...
I'm just curious.

giphy.gif

Made this many years ago. The ball starts low then the path is creating a hump. It’s on its way down as it’s passing the hitter and into the glove.

May 13, 2021
I have not studied this nearly as much as some of you. I do however believe it is impossible for a human to spin a ball fast enough to make it rise off of a level plane. Throw one at an upward trajectory that will drop less than a ball spinning in the opposite direction, yes.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
The fact is the swing info at and after release when the ball is rising makes up your decision to swing. It’s an upside down curveball in the overhead throw.

UW Plain threw high drop balls often and the hitters swing over and under the pitch often. We know the drop has a curved path, so does the rise ball.

Zoom in on the Michelle
Smith or hair 😂 throwing the Rise ball. The ball humps over the bat as the ball is dropping.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles