Legal or Not - (Realize this has been a hot topic of late in separate threads)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
I've seen some people get mad at the umpires for tossing an illegal bat *before* a game. We had one girl have her Ghost tossed in three consecutive HS games during bat checks. The mom lost her mind and started yelling at the umpire. In her defense, she was probably correct because it was paint cracking on a Ghost, but what did she think was going to happen? "Oh, you're right, Ma'am. I'll let Maude's bat continue in today's game."

She probably wasn’t correct.

Jun 22, 2008
A crow hop has nothing to do with the separation of the hands. This video has been around for a while. I understand NFHS has admitted they were wrong on this (according to an umpiring crew at state finals).

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Nfhs has not changed anything in their definition of crow hop and that is still the training video used. Whoever you talked to was making stuff up.

Feb 15, 2017
I don't disagree with any of this. I guess it just doesn't bother me because I care very little about winning and losing an amateur softball game. I can only control what my kid does in terms of integrity. Now if the rule breaking is physically dangerous (the illegal bat scenario borders on that), that is a different story.
I think you hit the nail on the head which is the integrity issue. Coaches who teach techniques that say do it until you're called. Parents that know thier child is doing something against the rules but get mad when it's only their child that gets called. Umpires that don't want to call something because they don't have the fortitude or the backing to do so. Organizations that turn a blind eye to something or then change a rule because they don't want to enforce a rule.

It's not just softball. See the the Houston Astros.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
I think you hit the nail on the head which is the integrity issue. Coaches who teach techniques that say do it until you're called. Parents that know thier child is doing something against the rules but get mad when it's only their child that gets called. Umpires that don't want to call something because they don't have the fortitude or the backing to do so. Organizations that turn a blind eye to something or then change a rule because they don't want to enforce a rule.

It's not just softball. See the the Houston Astros.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
I didn’t bring up integrity, I just agreed that people should try and have some.

This conversation reminds me of the ones I have with my wife about her work. Yeah your coworkers are idiots..why is it upsetting you, you should expect that by now. Just do what you know YOU are supposed to do…🤷🏽‍♂️

When I first took the job I have I tried the whole change the world one soapbox at a time thing..tilting at one academic “integrity windmill “ after the other. All it did was pretty much ruin my career and most of the pleasure I took in the job. Other adults don’t care what your version of integrity is.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
All the pitchers I posted separate the hands normally. It has nothing to do with when you separate the hands. Like I mentioned it’s a style created by coiling.

Yes men keep the hands together, some.

Oct 13, 2017
Nfhs has not changed anything in their definition of crow hop and that is still the training video used. Whoever you talked to was making stuff up.
We might check a little deeper into that. As someone mentioned above it makes no sense. Pitchers with backswings would never be called. I guess they could hop two or three times.

Jun 22, 2008
We might check a little deeper into that. As someone mentioned above it makes no sense. Pitchers with backswings would never be called. I guess they could hop two or three times.

All of the sanctions are going to have to address the video posted since they have now legalized leaping. Before the rule change, the pitcher in the video is leaping and landing, it is not a crow hop. The pitch was illegal on the leap, nothing else matters. I believe USA has some wording somewhere that the pitcher in the video would be legal under the new rule, but the rule wording makes it very questionable. All the associations are going to have to address it because with every new rule there are going to be a lot of umpires itching to call it just because its new. Even umpires that havent called an IP in their lives are going to be calling it.

They need to address it soon because the new season is coming up rapidly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi