NCAA bans fun in the dugouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
View attachment 10454No more costumes, stuffed animals or skits.

Good move. I posted a thread this time last year about how those antics have gotten out of control and got flamed for it. Let's keep some respect for the game. These players are awesome, show it on the field of play, no need for plastic horse heads in the dugout and disparaging the head coach during live interviews.

May 17, 2012
Good move. I posted a thread this time last year about how those antics have gotten out of control and got flamed for it. Let's keep some respect for the game. These players are awesome, show it on the field of play, no need for plastic horse heads in the dugout and disparaging the head coach during live interviews.

Sports are entertainment. You can have your "respect for the game" but give me bat flips and dugout antics any day.

TMD

Feb 18, 2016

Must have missed that one. What's the story?

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Idk. I'm kinda torn on how I feel about any of it. I didn't mind it, if it was truly a rally in the late innings of a close game but it was starting in the second inning and was getting to see who could be the most ridiculous and get on TV. But I also don't know if I like that the NCAA is mandating it. I wonder if this is coming from the coaches since they are the rule makers for the league?

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
I played sports all my life and had great fun on and off the field, and we did it all without wearing a Mario Bro.'s hat.....

Maybe so, but not as much fun as the kids that actually did wear Mario's cap!

This isn't stuffy old baseball, it's friggin fastpicth, and it's new (to most folks), and it's played by young women who make it fun by being silly and good at the same time. The only reason the NCAA is stepping in is because they smell money.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
I'll see your costume-wearing-softball-players and raise you one rally-banana-suit-wearing-major-leaguer:

Kiké-Banana-Suit-SNLA.jpg

Feb 7, 2013
Must have missed that one. What's the story?

I think the better word is "disrespecting" the head coach. If you watched any of the WCWS games last year (ex. Pittsburgh, LSU), you repeatedly saw players during the game purposely position themselves directly behind the head coach who were giving interviews wearing crazy outfits, performing skits, interrupting interviews, etc. in an attempt to get noticed. I guess live TV makes people go bonkers...I was surprised the head coach didn't put a stop to it, so the NCAA had to do it for them.

Here's my original thread almost exactly a year ago:

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-discussions/24025-what-pitt-softball-wants-known.html

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
. The only reason the NCAA is stepping in is because they smell money.

What money? TV? I wonder if the TV folks have made an issue of it.

I don't have strong feelings either way, and I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. You either like it or you don't.

To this point, I've been fine with it. In fact, I'm more annoyed about mid-game interviews than the antics, which seem to poke fun at the mid-game interview.

One issue here is how we think people should act and feel while engaged in competition. I have a friend who hates how some fastpitch players smile and high five after an error or mistake in order to pick themselves up. He thinks they should feel like crap about it, I guess.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi