Legal or Not - (Realize this has been a hot topic of late in separate threads)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 29, 2023
and if you are going to tell this to anybody within earshot it shouldn't matter which team is breaking the rules...right?
Yes, everyone's players should follow the rules. Anyone that knowingly goes into games teaching their own children to break the rules lacks integrity.

I'd hope we would all raise our kids with integrity rather than try to get a few extra strikes by cheating because the umps probably won't call it.

Apr 14, 2022
I think this is legal.
I think what you have to consider is once the leap is legal, you have to allow the back foot to land. Not every landing will be a replant.

Jun 8, 2016
Yes, everyone's players should follow the rules. Anyone that knowingly goes into games teaching their own children to break the rules lacks integrity.

I'd hope we would all raise our kids with integrity rather than try to get a few extra strikes by cheating because the umps probably won't call it.

I don't disagree with any of this. I guess it just doesn't bother me because I care very little about winning and losing an amateur softball game. I can only control what my kid does in terms of integrity. Now if the rule breaking is physically dangerous (the illegal bat scenario borders on that), that is a different story.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018
Atlanta
So for a topic that gets talked about on different Facebook and forum pages quite frequently, a point that only sometimes gets brought up is that parents who are convinced they see a crow hop, and umpires who are certain they don’t, often are seeing the exact same thing, but one group, the parents, has read the rulebook and applied their own interpretation, while the other group, the umpires, has read the rulebook and been trained on interpretation. Both USA and NFHS softball have provided training to umpires that indicates that phrases like “prior to delivery of the pitch“ or “and completes the delivery” are interpreted to mean “prior to the separation of the hands.” In other words, the replant must start prior to the legal commencement of the pitch. See this video:

So an umpire not calling an IP on a replant before the ball is released might not be lazy, blind, or afraid… they might just be trained a particular way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 5, 2014
So for a topic that gets talked about on different Facebook and forum pages quite frequently, a point that only sometimes gets brought up is that parents who are convinced they see a crow hop, and umpires who are certain they don’t, often are seeing the exact same thing, but one group, the parents, has read the rulebook and applied their own interpretation, while the other group, the umpires, has read the rulebook and been trained on interpretation. Both USA and NFHS softball have provided training to umpires that indicates that phrases like “prior to delivery of the pitch“ or “and completes the delivery” are interpreted to mean “prior to the separation of the hands.” In other words, the replant must start prior to the legal commencement of the pitch. See this video:

So an umpire not calling an IP on a replant before the ball is released might not be lazy, blind, or afraid… they might just be trained a particular way.

What about pitchers that separate before starting the pitch, i.e single arm backswing? By the definition above it wouldn't be possible for them to crow hop.

Oct 13, 2017

A crow hop has nothing to do with the separation of the hands. This video has been around for a while. I understand NFHS has admitted they were wrong on this (according to an umpiring crew at state finals).

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2011
I've seen some people get mad at the umpires for tossing an illegal bat *before* a game. We had one girl have her Ghost tossed in three consecutive HS games during bat checks. The mom lost her mind and started yelling at the umpire. In her defense, she was probably correct because it was paint cracking on a Ghost, but what did she think would happen? "Oh, you're right, Ma'am. I'll let Maude's bat continue in today's game."

I'm hoping NFHS, USA Softball, etc provide some training on exactly what to call illegal under the new leaping rules. Many umpires are going to be reluctant to call replanting unless it is pretty obvious at full speed. Some other videos I've seen online of crow-hoping I'd call. Not sure about this one.

I went to an NFCA clinic with a presentation on bat testing by the NCAA person in charge of it. Basically, if there are rattles or cracks... even "just" pant cracks, there is a chance it would fail the compression tests. Are tournaments and high school federations going to spend the money to have bat testers at every game?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi