Name on the jersey

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Should a new uniform have name and number or just the number?

• Name and number

• Number only

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I'll never understand why any softball coach below the college level would ever think white softball pants are a good idea. Heck the parents hate them even more than the girls do. I came the conclusion a while back that white softball pants are a sick joke that causes the devil to laugh hysterically.

Growing up, I never had anything but white pants. It was never an issue. (Edit: I realize there is an issue that could arise that I never had to worry about, but that's also an issue I've never seen actually cause a problem at a softball game)

We actually invested in some white pants for the first time this year. The girls actually wanted them.

I'm sorry if parents don't understand the basics of doing laundry. Maybe I should create a sheet that explains how to (pretty easily) get stains out.

Jul 1, 2019
DD has had at least two jersey combinations that used white pants for each of the last three years. She loves them, wife has a method for washing that keeps them looking new all season long no matter how dirty they get. We've never had the embarrassing issue happen, though DD has always had minor concern about it so she takes some preventative measures when it's a worry. She also wears sliding shorts so undergarment color isn't a problem.

As for name/number, I'm impartial. I do however like her name on the back when's she's at a camp for easier identification/recognition.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
DD has had at least two jersey combinations that used white pants for each of the last three years. She loves them, wife has a method for washing that keeps them looking new all season long no matter how dirty they get. We've never had the embarrassing issue happen, though DD has always had minor concern about it so she takes some preventative measures when it's a worry. She also wears sliding shorts so undergarment color isn't a problem.

As for name/number, I'm impartial. I do however like her name on the back when's she's at a camp for easier identification/recognition.

Share the washing method!

Jan 10, 2022
Long Island NY
i do not think it is the biggest deal. of course, i prefer the name on the back. this is for momento reasons though and has nothing to do with the game. i like to know my DD can look back at her jersey in 20, 30, 40 years from now and show it to her kids as a matter of pride showing the last name on it. However, this is not like a deal breaking issue. i would be more concerned if you had no choice over the number given and it was just a hand me down jersey, which is unacceptable for the $$ we spend on this. our organization has names on the back of the 2 sets of game jersies but practice shirts and other merch you can buy just has number.

Jul 1, 2019
Share the washing method!

Here ya go, it's a process but we have parents asking us regularly why we buy new pants all the time, truth is we don't. We buy two pair at the beginning of the season (usually because on 4-5 day tourneys we don't always have time to wash like this when in a hotel). We've brought dirty pants home from these extended trips and they still come clean, sometimes we pack the bucket with ziplock bags of some of the cleaners so we can wash while we're there too, just depends.

Ideally, use scotch guard on pants before first use. Spray entire pants thoroughly (more than just slightly damp, almost wet) with spray n wash max, we lay them on a towel on the floor to deal with over spray. Allow to sit for 20-30 min, then wash with detergent plus oxy clean powder.

Remove and check, if not satisfied (usually not), we have a 2-3gal bucket we fill 2/3 with warm/hot water and add white bright, stir to dissolve then add pants and submerge fully (note: this stuff stinks, put a lid on the bucket or something). Allow to soak for 3-4 hours. Remove and wash again with detergent.

This will usually have desired results, though occasionally there may be the stubborn turf burn spot, if there is we scrub that spot with fels naptha soap bar and wash one last time. Throughout this process we don't let the pants dry until satisfied, even when finished, we hang to air dry the pants and not the machine. I'm not sure if this matters or not, it's just what we do. Also, we've only had Evoshield jerseys for the past few years so I can't speak for other brands. Definitely test for color fastness if using for the jersey shirt, we haven't had any probs with it but I'd hate to see something happen based on my advice.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220204-112551.png
    Screenshot_20220204-112551.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20220204-110724.png
    Screenshot_20220204-110724.png
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20220204-110543.png
    Screenshot_20220204-110543.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20220204-110521.png
    Screenshot_20220204-110521.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20220204-110625.png
    Screenshot_20220204-110625.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
During rec, the girls picked a nickname and # and that's how all over her old rec jerseys are. If they didn't pick a nickname, I think they just put their last name - I'm not sure.
High school you don't even get to pick your # - just find a jersey set that fits so no names at all and they are given back at the end of the season. Even have some girls that have two different #s which is such a pain.
Last TB season was the first time DD's had a jersey with her last name on it. And this was just the showcase jersey and it had her grad year. This season they changed vendors so now all of her jerseys have this. I don't care either way though - doubt she cares either. I have saved every jersey she's worn though. One day I'll probably do something with them.

As a scorekeeper though - it kind of is nice if other teams have it - though it's actually super hard to read them because almost every player has long hair. And you never know if they are swapping jerseys if a pick up player comes. My favorite jersey mod is having the # on the front though. So helpful as a scorer ;)

Apr 30, 2018
Our rec league does not allow names on the shirts. We had an incident with someone using the name on the shirt to lure a kid. Shouldn't be an issue with older kids, but with younger ones don't put the name on the shirt.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13