Name on the jersey

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Should a new uniform have name and number or just the number?

• Name and number

• Number only

Results are only viewable after voting.
Aug 1, 2019
MN
For our 8u team, each player had their 1st name on the back of their jersey above their number. It was nice for parents, grandparents, & friends to be able to identify kids they didn't know & then cheer for every kid by name.

The players liked it so much that they wanted it the same way when they got to 10u. So we did.
For the past 10 years or so, in boys' baseball you could shout out a name that has the _ayden sound any you'd be close enough for half the kids on the team. (Aiden, Brayden, Cayden, Creighton, Dayton, Hayden, Jaden, Kaden, Payton, Tayden, etc.)

Oct 10, 2018
My DD being a catcher, she prefers her pants a little larger than a little smaller. The majority of her team HATES white pants.

DD also hates white. It looks nice but is a pain to keep clean (my problem) and has the potential for a huge embarrassment (her problem). Also I have yet to see a pair of white pants that didn't display the girls' underwear. DD wears white bike shorts under her white pants.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
DD also hates white. It looks nice but is a pain to keep clean (my problem) and has the potential for a huge embarrassment (her problem). Also I have yet to see a pair of white pants that didn't display the girls' underwear. DD wears white bike shorts under her white pants.

At 14u we decided to get new uniforms. One of the coaches suggested white pants at a parents meeting we had before the fall season started. Our parents were quiet and very respectful for the most part, but the coach received some very loud negative feedback over that idea... That was the most upset I have seen some of those parents.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

Baseball players wear white pants all the time and I can't recall ever seeing their underwear. Are softball pants just too thin for some reason?

Do girls not typically wear sliding shorts? I've had a hard time getting some of ours to wear them (even though we provide them), but I figured 99% of serious players wore them all the time.

Mar 28, 2020
Baseball players wear white pants all the time and I can't recall ever seeing their underwear. Are softball pants just too thin for some reason?

Do girls not typically wear sliding shorts? I've had a hard time getting some of ours to wear them (even though we provide them), but I figured 99% of serious players wore them all the time.
Our girls all wear sliders, which can be seen through the white pants. It's not the end of the world... no worse than leggings. But strategic undergarment choices do have to be made as a female when white uniforms are chosen. And there's always the potential for embarrassment. Mizuno pants are thicker than most, and we've always had pretty good luck with them.

Jun 1, 2015
A few years back (maybe 2018 or so), I wanted my rec team to have white pants to go with our red/white/blue tops. It took my assistant coach talking me out of it by saying, "You don't want these girls in white pants." My initial thought was, "Why? Just some dirt, that's not a major issue." She (AC) responded by saying, "You don't want white pants on teenage girls. Period." (extra emphasis on the last word). It legitimately took me 15 minutes to figure out what she was referring to - I was slower back then, I admit.

Fast forward to this past season - new team, new uniforms - red/white/black tops - and we opted for black pants. A couple of parents asked me, "Wouldn't white pants be a bit cooler on the girls?" To which I responded, "Yes, but think of all the cleaning you may/may not have to do with them, and I'd rather them be a bit warmer and save any potential embarrassment." Never had I had so many mothers thank me for opting for black pants. Plus then it saves the girls from having to worry about the whole "see-through" issue.

I told my girls point-blank before our first game, "I want you in a proper uniform for our game - whatever else you choose to wear is ZERO business of mine and that's all I'm saying about it." I think the message got across pretty clearly, and as a male coach, it makes me very uncomfortable discussing it, so I leave that part to the parents to handle.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
A few years back (maybe 2018 or so), I wanted my rec team to have white pants to go with our red/white/blue tops. It took my assistant coach talking me out of it by saying, "You don't want these girls in white pants." My initial thought was, "Why? Just some dirt, that's not a major issue." She (AC) responded by saying, "You don't want white pants on teenage girls. Period." (extra emphasis on the last word). It legitimately took me 15 minutes to figure out what she was referring to - I was slower back then, I admit.

Fast forward to this past season - new team, new uniforms - red/white/black tops - and we opted for black pants. A couple of parents asked me, "Wouldn't white pants be a bit cooler on the girls?" To which I responded, "Yes, but think of all the cleaning you may/may not have to do with them, and I'd rather them be a bit warmer and save any potential embarrassment." Never had I had so many mothers thank me for opting for black pants. Plus then it saves the girls from having to worry about the whole "see-through" issue.

I told my girls point-blank before our first game, "I want you in a proper uniform for our game - whatever else you choose to wear is ZERO business of mine and that's all I'm saying about it." I think the message got across pretty clearly, and as a male coach, it makes me very uncomfortable discussing it, so I leave that part to the parents to handle.
Reminds me of a time with my first year 12U team my first time through. The parents voted on white pants and I didn't think anything of it. Halfway through the Summer season in between games, some of my players were eating lunch at the concession stand and sitting at the picnic table together. One of my players got up to go to the bathroom. Wouldn't you know it? She had sat in a ketchup spill and it ended up in a very embarrassing area. Of course my other players noticed it immediately. She was very embarrassed because she was a bit more developed than many others on the team and everyone thought...well you know. Luckily I had extra uniform pants in my car thanks to DW warning me when I ordered to get an extra pair in each size for the team in case of "emergencies." That was the first and last year for white pants. I won't do grey either.

Jun 1, 2015
Gray, I wouldn't be against but I completely get the idea against it, just like with white.

Reminds me of a fall 18U tournament I was umpiring back in 2018. Saturday 8am game and I'm on the plate. The home team (wearing white tops and pants) is taking their warm-ups before throwing down, etc. Plate conference/lineups already handled, etc. The pitcher likely warmed up earlier, etc. Goes to take her first of 5 warm-ups. I'm setting my water bottle down, facing away (safely). The next thing I know, I hear a loud noise and an audible gasp. The pitcher, in her motion, somehow rips the inseam of her pants from A to Z (should you catch my drift) and didn't have an extra pair of pants (but was luckily wearing gray sliders underneath, as I was later told by her coach).

The coach had to enter a substitute pitcher from the bench while the SP heads to the bathroom to change into a donated pair of pants from another parent before she comes back to the game/circle and resumes her pitching. I've umpired since 2006 (both LL and HS/TB) and that's the first time I've EVER seen a situation like that happen (hopefully, the last, but I'm not gambling on it).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619