Name on the jersey

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Should a new uniform have name and number or just the number?

• Name and number

• Number only

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jun 7, 2020
Since we started with this team in 8u we have always had the girls last name and number on the back of their jerseys. We are part of an organization of a 14u 16u and 18u teams. We got a new uniform for the upcoming season and it's just a number on the back. No name. We play alot of money to be on this team. We have to pay for new jerseys but I think the girls should have their name on the back. The girls rarely very rarely play on other age group. What do you all think?

Jul 14, 2018
DD played for a big org that had number-only jerseys. I think it’s an old-school thing, some people prefer that as a team-first aesthetic.

Personally, I didn’t like it. We’d go to big tournaments and other teams had names on the back and grad years on the sleeve. I know college coaches who come to watch are capable of looking at a roster, but why not make it easy for them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 11, 2012
When they play in HS and college chances are they won’t get their name on the back of their jersey.
DD’s club teams had them on the back but many 16-18U do not.
Every coach I asked about it says “you play for the name on the front of the jersey not the name on the back” as a reason for not doing it.

Jun 1, 2015
Can't speak for TB experience, personally, but as a coach of a 16U (summer) rec.-level team, my girls LOVED having their names on the uniforms. Granted, they fought harder/more for their own personal number (there's 100 to choose from, naturally there's debate over 3 of them), but for them, their last names on them gave it a more personal touch they liked. In the grand scheme of things, does it make a major difference? I don't know exactly. Scouts/coaches at the higher level may just ask for the name/info. of certain players/positions/numbers they see that catch their eye.

May 17, 2012
We have done both ways but the players always seem to be indifferent about it.

As a coach I could care less. The parents are paying for the jerseys anyways...

May 21, 2018
I prefer just the number. Locally there may be a coach or two who may not like said players dad for reasons unrelated to softball. 😇

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
My daughters both play high-level college showcases and attend college camps. Having the name and graduation year on the jersey can only help get noticed. I had one former coach tell me once, "Well, the Yankees don't have names on their jerseys." I replied, "when they start paying my girls like those players, they can do whatever they want."

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
At the younger ages we had the number only. Didn't really think about it, and no one brought it up. When we got to the showcase stage, we decided to put their names on the jersey based on input we received from another coach. I really don't know if it made a difference, and I'm not sure the players cared one way or the other. But the parents were definitely happy to have the names on the jersey. The parents seemed to care more about it than the players. Personally, I'm indifferent about it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619