My bad reaction, gets worse reaction

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
Don't feel too bad , I took the other half of that Butt Chewing as a coach when my Daughter was 8 . She plowed a catcher who wouldn't get out of the baseline into the ground (frankly I am surprised little baby catchers didn't sprout out of the ground the next spring) . I had told my girls to just bump her if she didn't get out of the way but my Daughter laid her out like a line backer with a free shot at the Quarterback . I picked her up and gave her a pat on the butt and that was when the coach and about half the bench of the opposing team unloaded on me .

It is part of the game but it is also your job as a parent to protect your children . You may have been over protective but a few apologies and a dedication to being a little quieter with your protests should get you back in the good graces of the coach .

I agree that practices should be a bit less violent than games but I have had to keep my mouth shut on more than a few occasions as I watch my kid get ran into , cleated and stuffed in the chest as she tries to slide into the base . At first I thought it was bush league BS but I watched the girls on our team turn around and do the same thing to other teams as they adapted to the level of play . The reality is that in the heat of the moment sometimes things happen that are usually unintentional . Much like bad calls from Ump's sometimes you just gotta suck it up and accept it for what it is .

Mar 15, 2010
I'm new to this softball,but run through the bag? I thought you only ran through 1st?

In practice running through bases other than first is a common coaching technique, at least it has been my DD's 12U+ TB teams. DD's current coach calls these run through and the intent is to mimic a full speed tag play where the runner would slide. The base runners on her team are coached to perform the run through on the side of the bag furthest from home plate (we actually use 2 throw down bases in this drill). This is usually done before tournaments to minimize injuries that can occur with a slide