Ideas needed to get a girl moving...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
OMG duh. I thought it was somw cool idea I had never heard of!
From me? You should know better.. ;)

In all seriousness, if she seems engaged and having fun during practice it could just be that she is 7 and bored during the games..Maybe make her a catcher? They have equipment.. :ROFLMAO: (see I couldn't even be serious for two sentences)

• Haha
Reactions: JaC

JaC

Apr 29, 2023
From me? You should know better.. ;)

In all seriousness, if she seems engaged and having fun during practice it could just be that she is 7 and bored during the games..Maybe make her a catcher? They have equipment.. :ROFLMAO: (see I couldn't even be serious for two sentences)
We at least had you for one sentence, that's progress! 🤣

Aug 4, 2021
When mine was 7, she played CP with the boys - just happy to be out there and grab a snack...same thing at 8, played softball at 9 for the first time and was like "I wanna try pitching" and it took off from there. 13 now and can't get enough of it. Like the others have said, keep it fun, keep teaching the fundamentals - they are learning more than you realize. Either way if its something she loves and continues with, great - if not, she'll still look back with great memories.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
We need a video. :)

Lot is going on in their head. We played a team with a new 2nd baseperson. She was more worried about covering 2nd then caching the ball.

Make sure she knows every ball hit is hers, until it isn't. Then worry about the other things after that.

Aug 9, 2022
Bothell, WA
Hi,

I need some creative drills, please. We have a 7yo who will not go after the ball during live play. During practice when she knows it's expected, she fields pretty well and semi-attacks the ball. In a game, she's checked out and when a ball comes her way, her head isn't even turning to follow the ball visually.

For what it's worth, her reaction time when a ball is coming down when she's at bat and gets too close to her is also nill.

Anyone have some creative drills that would help get her reacting more quickly?
Does she need glasses??

Last edited:

JaC

Apr 29, 2023
We need a video. :)

Lot is going on in their head. We played a team with a new 2nd baseperson. She was more worried about covering 2nd then caching the ball.

Make sure she knows every ball hit is hers, until it isn't. Then worry about the other things after that.
It's kinda like this:

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Inactivity in a player is often tied to coach and parent activity. Let her play without a lot of comment and instruction. Sometimes players will freeze up because they are so used to being told what to do, or criticized when they make a mistake it’s easier to do nothing.

Nov 18, 2015
Based on what you've described, near the bottom of any list of suggestions would go yelling or alerting once the play begins / ball is hit. As adults, we often forget how "shocking" our voices can be, especially at this level - when every parent in the stands is yelling out directions on where to run, where to throw, what to do, tie your shoes, wash your hands, etc.

Since it sounds like this isn't your daughter, and with the caveat of "I'm not a medical dr" - I would not be surprised if this player falls somewhere on the autism spectrum. Maybe ADD, but the complete zoning out and lack of any "normal" 'fight or flight' type of response sounds like this may go beyond what most of us expect to see - sand castle building, daisy picking, watching the neighbor walk their dog, watching the kids on the adjacent playground, etc.

As another poster said - if it really just seems to be boredom - give her the catchers gear. Getting to be involved in EVERY play may be the spark or motivation she's looking for.

Oh - and to end with the obvious - what do her parents say about the behavior? (Since they've probably seen it before).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles