My bad reaction, gets worse reaction

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
You owe your daughter a very big apology for getting involved in her softball game. If she is going to play, she better get used to getting smacked a little.

Was the runner wrong? Probably. But you made everything 100% worse.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I'm new to this softball,but run through the bag? I thought you only ran through 1st? Also from where my DD's from you just can't plow another girl over especially if she is on your own team and in practice.How I handle it is there and now when it happens not later.I would be thinking also of the other girls that could get hurt with a coach like that.Several practices later and during a tourney is not the place to discuss this (I'm sure you know that now).What to do now? Let it go.I think you both got your point across and teach your daughter to start her tag low and come up slowwww if the runner doesn't slid.Keep your eye on this coach.

Oct 21, 2009
I think you were wrong both times. When they are in the fence its best if you keep your mouth shut. You made it way worse by taking your daughters off the field. Then you interupt his game. What do you think everyone thinks about you and your daughters now? They don't come to your house and tell you how to parent, don't go to a field and tell them how to coach.
Unless you think your daughter is being mistreated, zip it.
I think Amy was half right. You owe your daughter an apology and also the coach.
Thats why I encourage, expect parents to leave practice and find something to do for 2 hours.

Nov 29, 2009
You sound like a meddling drama queen of a parent. Grabbing both of your kids after a rough play at practice. You're lucky the coach didn't toss them both off the team right then and there after you grabbed them. Gimmie an f'n break!!!!

Then you start crap during the middle of the game. I don't care if it's rec ball or 18U Gold. You NEVER start that kind of BS during a game. That stuff is for the next day or practice. Not when you feel it's your duty to coach the team from the outside of the fence.

If your child was deliberately struck in a malicious manner in some way by an adult or other player you have the right to say something. Being banged around while learning a rougher part of the game is not reason enough. As you said, you didn't even know if she was in the right place.

You would be advised to look for another team for your kids after this nonsense. I wouldn't want to deal with you as a coach. I haven't taken kids back with bad parents. They are not worth the trouble. They usually end up with whole collection of different colored bat bags and uniforms.

The best way to handle is to let your daughter learn how to handle it, unless you plan to hover over her for her entire life.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I give you credit for your post. It's not easy, even on an anonymous forum, to tell a story in which you might've made some bad decisions and then take the heat for it. You put yourself on the line. It sounds like you're genuinely looking for opinions on what to do next, not justification for what you did.

My advice - Call the coach, apologize. Say you handled it poorly. Say if you had it to do again, you'd do it differently. Don't expect or ask for an apology from him. Ask if you can apologize to his daughter. Tell him it won't happen again. Tell him that the apology has nothing to do w/ your daughters' place on the team, that it has everything with how you handled it and how it might've affected him and his daughter. Ask your daughter how they felt about what you did, and if they're troubled about it, apologize to them.

Jul 28, 2008
I'm surprised your daughter is still on the team after those two outbursts. You crossed two lines a parent should not cross. If it were my team, you would be tossed.

Feb 3, 2011
I agree with CoogansBluff. Regardless of what the coach determines about your family's future with his team, you owe apologies to those involved. I think you've demonstrated a lot of courage in swallowing your pride to post about your mistakes here, and hopefully the coach - and more importantly your daughters - will allow you to apologize and then forgive you.

Depending on severity of what took place, I'd allow 1 incident myself, but not 2. Coaches have to keep in mind that no matter how sweet or talented your daughter(s) might be, there are 10 other sets of parents who don't want so much attention being taken away from their daughters' instruction time nor do they want their daughters' enjoyment of the softball season to be compromised by a hovering parent who's too involved in her daughter's softball business.

Apr 3, 2011
After reading a few of the comments, I didn't think about the coach viewing me talking to one of the players as me trying to coach the team, to be frank I felt he started today, I only asked what his comments were for? After reading now I now have a different view of what happend today.

I very much want my girls to play, they both love the game.

With one of my girls, its easy to let her learn the hard way, with the other I am struggling a bit, though I'm trying to work on it.

I read another article on here while I posted, earlier that kinda hit home, so the posts helped also.

Was a little more honest than I expected. But thank you for the different perspective.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Apr 3, 2011
I do feel I owe them an apology, and will do that tonight, when I yelled at his daughter, to be frank I was ashamed that I did that.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45