MTS, HYP, RHC, Noontime, and others

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 20, 2010
I am not a fan of the Bryce Harper ultra stretch, where the front arm nearly straightens. She is aware of it, works on tightening it up, but gets away with it because her hands are fairly gifted. Still I believe your correct, she needs to maintain the front arm angle to keep the hands closer to the body.

SL - We will video a high tee swing, we were just working on a knee high pitch outside at this time, thus the drastic tilt. She actually loves the higher pitch, she knows they go out of the park much easier :)

This is a superior lower body.
Good hitters pass thru this moment.
Back foot action is heel leads toe.
She's qualified. :)
backfoot2.jpg

Stever knows I love the low tee work.
Because when a hitter can work behind that and elevate it-crush one,,,the pitcher knows the last low ball she threw got crushed.... the next time up if they throw that rise, ball will go a long ways.

straightleg,,,the high tee is for sure a great suggestion.

Stever, I'm not sure I recognize this young lady. Doesn't matter though. Call me.
With the youth you guys have playing Gold it could be a little scary when they "grow up". :)
And yes, I recognize the facility--- I've thrown thousands of live arm bp pitches in there.

Stever, there is a stat of down balls vs up balls, even at the higher levels, that I compiled over two years and 160+ games.
When a hitter gets down in the count or they have fouled off the low ball, you will see a pitcher work on getting a kid to "chase". However, there is one strong caveat to that,,,,,This stat is also compiled to note runners on base,,,a very real element as to whether you will see a drop or a ball up in the zone. No runners on, the chase pitch can vary, with runners on, it is basically limited to two. I don't have to tell you that, you already are aware of it. Suffice to say, that the approach they have on balls down in the zone will serve them well.

My only suggestion sir, with this young lady is when she is doing her tee work, make sure she does not counter rotate. Oh I get it, believe me,,,that ball just sitting there innocently...no pitcher to time...so the hitter can get away with 'going big'. Sorry, to my point, If the hip coil carries the shoulders with it some,,,,fine. If the shoulders are making the shoulders move...not fine. This non shoulder carried counter rotation,,, will enhance her (already there) quick-ness...and that extra bump with the arm won't be "necessary".

Why won't the arm 'bump' be necessary? Because right now she needs that bump, that extra length, that "away from her". The reason she needs it is to "clear her shoulders" cuz they're in the way, so to speak. For just one frame, thanks to her quickness. You want zero frames. That is simply some focus, refinement for a kid that already knows how to move,,,quite well sir.

That said, my friend, she recovers from the arm bump quite nicely. Most kids come over the top to hit that low tee position. Proceed with caution,,,these are merely suggestions, on my part,,, from one single clip.

Is she 14?

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Still not sure which one...

<iframe width="660" height="240" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-42RBF6TVMQ?&autoplay=1&rel=0&theme=light&loop=1&showinfo=0&modestbranding=1&hd=1&color=transparent&playlist=-42RBF6TVMQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2011
She is very ornery and feisty, maybe you could come over and make the changes Rich :)

We will keep working until she heads away for school!!!

This is spot on. She is an exceptional athlete. She is "cheating" her mechanics a little bit because she's ahead of her peers and can get a little more power without (at even a good gold level) having it exploited. I imagine your goal for her is high D1...eventually pitchers will start to exploit her mechanics....so, yes, start now in fixing them and in an athlete of her caliber really teach her WHY she is changing them, don't just implement drills or fixes. She'll benefit greatly from learning about how her body works, how hitting works and how pitchers try to work against those things. Good luck.

Nov 29, 2011
You have seen her Clifton. A couple of years ago a 7th grader came to your KB Gold practice and was allowed to practice. I remember you were on the mound throwing a mean non-moving 55mph pitch :). During situations, the little 7th grader stepped into the box and drove your pitch off the right center fence for a double...... that's the kinda of memory we like our pitchers to have!
LClifton, this is my daughter, she has grown a little bit :)

More importantly, your advice is sound. I saw the shoulder turn, and this will happen if you don't keep two eyes on the pitcher even when doing tees, no doubt she is winding up. This is not a game swing problem, or hasn't been. I say that with caution, because she has tried every bad habit possible at least twice or more......and I am pretty sure she does it to aggravate me :)

She is 14, soon to be 15.

Stever, I'm not sure I recognize this young lady. Doesn't matter though. Call me.
With the youth you guys have playing Gold it could be a little scary when they "grow up". :)
And yes, I recognize the facility--- I've thrown thousands of live arm bp pitches in there.

Stever, there is a stat of down balls vs up balls, even at the higher levels, that I compiled over two years and 160+ games.
When a hitter gets down in the count or they have fouled off the low ball, you will see a pitcher work on getting a kid to "chase". However, there is one strong caveat to that,,,,,This stat is also compiled to note runners on base,,,a very real element as to whether you will see a drop or a ball up in the zone. No runners on, the chase pitch can vary, with runners on, it is basically limited to two. I don't have to tell you that, you already are aware of it. Suffice to say, that the approach they have on balls down in the zone will serve them well.

My only suggestion sir, with this young lady is when she is doing her tee work, make sure she does not counter rotate. Oh I get it, believe me,,,that ball just sitting there innocently...no pitcher to time...so the hitter can get away with 'going big'. Sorry, to my point, If the hip coil carries the shoulders with it some,,,,fine. If the shoulders are making the shoulders move...not fine. This non shoulder carried counter rotation,,, will enhance her (already there) quick-ness...and that extra bump with the arm won't be "necessary".

Why won't the arm 'bump' be necessary? Because right now she needs that bump, that extra length, that "away from her". The reason she needs it is to "clear her shoulders" cuz they're in the way, so to speak. For just one frame, thanks to her quickness. You want zero frames. That is simply some focus, refinement for a kid that already knows how to move,,,quite well sir.

That said, my friend, she recovers from the arm bump quite nicely. Most kids come over the top to hit that low tee position. Proceed with caution,,,these are merely suggestions, on my part,,, from one single clip.

Is she 14?

Nov 29, 2011
Her swing speed is pretty high for her age, she was clocked at 82mph a couple months ago... But I am as much focused on what speed you can maintain after contact, that is where power is!

Then again, we have used your/Howards ideas on swinging pvc bats :)

I like her bat speed.
I work with a 7th grade girl looks just like her, same built.
Get some leverage out of those arms/hands at release :D

SL

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2011
PC - What are you trying to point out?

Still not sure which one...

<iframe width="660" height="240" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-42RBF6TVMQ?&autoplay=1&rel=0&theme=light&loop=1&showinfo=0&modestbranding=1&hd=1&color=transparent&playlist=-42RBF6TVMQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
PC - What are you trying to point out?

Shopping for DD's process. Defiantly those two and Bonds. I was trying to get them at least on the same camera. Couldn't find Bonds at this park, and similar quality camera. Doubt if I could get all three and the college girl on one page. Plus I think I got the FPS=frames per second messed too. Miggy's move to the ball just ain't there.... Is that the bat speed I need? I've watched it 100 times... just no frames of it to sync them together with...

Sorry I think I got the 4 threads all missed up too. But I am on to the "Tip and Rip" I need the "Phone Booth" or the most compact move. I can see that I need to get combinations of all & a wild card

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Got pm'd about making this
This connector, I got all the parts at home depot. find 2 pipes that slide into each other ( thin walled water line worked for me I believe)
Dowel rod to fit(glue) into ends...2 different sizes. The grey pipe is a long sweep piece of plastic electric conduit, cut the bell off. Drilled a hole in center to run a screw into the dowel rods
Glue rods in with epoxy glue. Rubber was found in a slide out bin in the plumbing dept.

SL

Here is the material list

SL

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd