2nd base throw down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

C.K

Mar 16, 2012
Just another vote in support of doing things the right way, even if the right way changes (which means you have to acknowledge that you previously were wrong), AND being able to explain why the right way is better than other ways!

I've patiently been waiting for the NECC Old and Out-of-Shape Camp to be offered.

And who determines that the new way is the right way??, every kid is different its also about making them as efficient as possible. Take the top 10 catchers (your pick) in fastpitch their not cookie cutter remakes of each other, they all have their differences and techniques that work for them.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
And who determines that the new way is the right way??, every kid is different its also about making them as efficient as possible. Take the top 10 catchers (your pick) in fastpitch their not cookie cutter remakes of each other, they all have their differences and techniques that work for them.

The people who study these things for a living help to make that determination, for the most part. But don't think of it as right vs wrong, think of it as best practices. BP constantly evolve over time as more data is gathered and more tools are applied to studying the data.

Take the top 10 catchers in any high level league and they will all do many things the same or similar. One thing they will do is perform a high level throwing technique.

It is highly inefficient for everyone to be doing their own thing. If the goal is to increase efficiency, then BP must be studied and applied across the board. Small tweaks can be applied for individual tastes, but sound mechanics (determined by studying BP) need to be the foundation of every throw.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

It starts with studying what the very best in the game are doing, and what things they have in common that help them perform at that level. It also includes constant evaluation to see if there is something that can be improved in bio-mechanical efficiency or safety (especially for catchers).

As for top fastpitch catchers, using them as an example for technique is one of the points where I hesitate. As Jen Schroeder (someone very in tune with fastpitch catching) has said MANY, MANY times, catcher is the least-taught position on the field. I agree completely. The lack of coaching is likely a strong contributor to why you're seeing a variety of methods being used. However, this also points to a strong possibility that maybe fastpitch catchers aren't the ones we should be using as our examples of how to play behind the plate. I also haven't heard a conclusive argument that leads me to believe that catching a softball requires a significantly different approach than catching a baseball. "That's the way softball players do it" isn't a conclusive argument to me. Tell me WHY it's better. One of the things I appreciate most about NECC's program is that there is a "why" for everything.

Last edited:

C.K

Mar 16, 2012
The people who study these things for a living help to make that determination, for the most part. But don't think of it as right vs wrong, think of it as best practices. BP constantly evolve over time as more data is gathered and more tools are applied to studying the data.

Take the top 10 catchers in any high level league and they will all do many things the same or similar. One thing they will do is perform a high level throwing technique.

It is highly inefficient for everyone to be doing their own thing. If the goal is to increase efficiency, then BP must be studied and applied across the board. Small tweaks can be applied for individual tastes, but sound mechanics (determined by studying BP) need to be the foundation of every throw.

I get that and agree for the most part, but just take a look at the non throwing arm of a catcher on a throw down whats correct "high Level some say" ? Some point glove some point elbow some do nothing and a lot dictates where the transfer took place center line or past center. Jen Schro teaches things different than Jay and some are fundamental differences, who's right? The kid that did it? I would more stock into what they say, but that's just me. My daughter takes lessons form a D1 all-American catcher is everything she teaches end all be all, I think not. But when I ask a question I get a answer from a person that played at that level and what worked for her and what didn't work. All these "experts" were taught by someone fathers, mothers , coaches, and form their playing experience, others and the ones I put no stock into are the self taught youtube type and the good thing about them is their easy to spot for the most part.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
I get that and agree for the most part, but just take a look at the non throwing arm of a catcher on a throw down whats correct "high Level some say" ? Some point glove some point elbow some do nothing and a lot dictates where the transfer took place center line or past center. Jen Schro teaches things different than Jay and some are fundamental differences, who's right? The kid that did it? I would more stock into what they say, but that's just me. My daughter takes lessons form a D1 all-American catcher is everything she teaches end all be all, I think not. But when I ask a question I get a answer from a person that played at that level and what worked for her and what didn't work. All these "experts" were taught by someone fathers, mothers , coaches, and form their playing experience, others and the ones I put no stock into are the self taught youtube type and the good thing about them is their easy to spot for the most part.

What you point with isn't a fundamental mechanic. That there is something pointing might be considered fundamental. But who's right? Get past that thinking. Look for the best practice. Is JSchro really fundamentally different than NECC? Not from any of the videos I've seen. There's so much overlap that the differences I've seen are more window dressing than structural.

This thread posed a question regarding the description of throwing mechanics from NECC. GM made the point that what's the "right" way now (the current best practice) wasn't necessarily the "right" way yesterday (previous best practice). Asking "who determines what's right?" misses the point that "right" is in a constant state of change.

And you left out one teacher of the "experts" - science. Wasserman has an agenda, yes, but he also has the educational background to scientifically describe a high level throw, to break down that throw into different sections of motion, and to develop drills to help learn the motions. I don't mind paying him for using his education to teach me how to teach my kids to throw. Do I care if he played pro ball? No. Just because you played doen't mean you know the "why" of things.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England

The on-field accomplishments and credentials of who does the teaching are immaterial (case in point - Ted Williams was an ineffective hitting coach). What they are teaching, how effectively they teach, and the ability to explain why they are teaching what they teach are what it really boils down to. IMO, MLB catchers are more advanced than the top college FP catchers and the best of them should be studied and used as the model for all catchers, regardless if they are male or female. IMO, there are some MLB catchers and many top college FP catchers that exhibit poor technique and use inefficient mechanics.

ETA - In the last 5-10 years or so, the widespread availability of slow mo video has helped disprove a number of long-held fallacies in many sports, including baseball and FP.

Last edited:

C.K

Mar 16, 2012
I agree some can teach and some can't.

You can't compare the two, men and women are built way differently thank god. A lot transfers over but men are able to generate greater amounts of power from their upper body. But I agree study the best and them both just don't lump the men and women together.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I agree some can teach and some can't.

You can't compare the two, men and women are built way differently thank god. A lot transfers over but men are able to generate greater amounts of power from their upper body. But I agree study the best and them both just don't lump the men and women together.

Doesn't this make it even more important for the ladies to use the most efficient techniques?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad