2nd base throw down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I will do my best to describe the mechanics I observed being taught at the NECC clinic this past weekend...

With the body and shoulders aligned to the target, hold the forearm at a slight angle with the ball above the elbow. Draw the elbow back to scap-pinch while maintaining the angle of the forearm (ball above elbow). As the hips turn forward, the arm will rotate in the shoulder socket, bringing the elbow up, and the ball dropping reward behind the head. Scap tension is maintained throughout this rotation, and body turn. The sensation I get is hips turning forward as the ball going backwards, loading against the back side resistance. As the shoulder comes forward, it starts the process of whipping the arm.

For a catcher, the elbow drawing straight back, while keeping the ball higher than the elbow, makes for a very fast throwing pattern with lots of power.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
The sensation I get is hips turning forward as the ball going backwards, loading against the back side resistance. As the shoulder comes forward, it starts the process of whipping the arm.

In your opinion....Is this the "resistance" that is explained by wasserman?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
In your opinion....Is this the "resistance" that is explained by wasserman?

I need to refresh myself on Wasserman's info, so I can't give you a 100% sure answer. In talking with Jay about the mechanics, the feeling of tension along my right rear side (between shoulder and hip) is correct.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I need to refresh myself on Wasserman's info, so I can't give you a 100% sure answer. In talking with Jay about the mechanics, the feeling of tension along my right rear side (between shoulder and hip) is correct.

Similar upper/lower resistance as you should experience hitting. Because you have control over all the variables involved in throwing, Hitter/Howard Carrier's clinic approach to work on throwing before hitting makes a lot of sense.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00