Pitching Absolutes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
281u4bq.gif

Feb 7, 2013
My daughter had always struggled with velocity or lack there of! We had recently went to a new instructor and she revealed through video analysis, that my daughter had started spinning her foot on the mound and opening up to early...thus loosing velocity. A earlier instructor had hammered her for not getting sideways in her wind up and she started trying to do it so much, she started spinning her foot and getting sideways on the mound. We had various degrees of success trying to break the habit as I bought a "push box" to aid her in keeping her mound foot straight. But Jordan wanted her to demonstrate her wind up and look for any more basic flaws. One tip she gave us pushed her velocity to career highs and solved any hint of her mound foot ever turning!! She told us in her wind up a pitcher needs to have a load backwards before going forward, much like a hitter. Pitcher should start with toe in the hole of the mound, load wait backwards and pick up the toe several inches off the mound. It creates a rocking motion with momentum going back and forward. We owned a power drive and used correctly it emulates this for young pitchers to learn this momentum building trick. Start with the power drive in the down position, in the wind up shift weight back and the plare will click back then go forward. Obviously the power drive isn't a necessity to learn this trick, but helps. If you truly watch the mound foot of the quicker pitchers, you will see them pick up there toe on the mound!! After Jordan introduced us to this trick I went home and videotaped my daughters first attempts, hitting 50-53 mph, when she had been a 45-48 mph pitcher! I sent the video to her travel coach and soon got her first start for this team and threw a shut out against a team that went deep in Chicago metros!! Hope that helps someone!!

Good points. I will update the OP to reflect the rocking back of the pivot foot. Your other point was that the pivot foot should not turn but should be straight ahead. I used to think this until BM posted videos of elite pitchers who would actually turn there foot slightly out which helps the pitcher get open during the stride. Unlike runners in the starting blocks who keep their shoulders square to the finish line throughout their race.

FFS. Thanks for the gifs to reinforce Sticks point.

Feb 7, 2013
Yes .... her palm re-orientates from facing 3B around the K position to facing skyward in the 9-O'Clock position. To me that 'twist' adds a bit of juice leading into brush assisted interference/whip.

Ueno_zpsa87a239a.gif

That move I like calling it "dropping the elbow into the slot" and definitely is a critical component to maximizing arm whip IMO.

Sep 18, 2012
A, A
Good points. I will update the OP to reflect the rocking back of the pivot foot. Your other point was that the pivot foot should not turn but should be straight ahead. I used to think this until BM posted videos of elite pitchers who would actually turn there foot slightly out which helps the pitcher get open during the stride. Unlike runners in the starting blocks who keep their shoulders square to the finish line throughout their race.

FFS. Thanks for the gifs to reinforce Sticks point.

My daughters spin on the mound wasn't slight! Lol as demonstrated in ffs's video. But I appreciate you pointing that out. I am stunned watching travel softball how many girls who don't pick up the toe and have mediocre velocity. My daughter also kicked to the side, losing forward momentum and making her fall slightly to the right. Jordan also pointed that out. I am now a huge video fan and "coaches eye" app has truly helped me see the flaws, that would never see at full speed!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad