MAKE A LIST~ fp Pitchers who can throw 70mph

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 1, 2023
Yeah I would say most pitchers lose a little in that transition, but I do think some gain a little more accuracy moving up to the bigger ball. Especially for girls with really big hands/long fingers the 11" is a real challenge.

The girl I mentioned was only 61 in the 11u nationals skills competition. Now she has rebounded and is upper 60s I believe. But is almost more know for power hitting, including a couple out of OK stadium off a tee in front of Gasso :oops: .

While I saw she’s hit upper 60s, I don’t think she’s throwing anywhere close to that in games. My DD’s team wouldn’t have hit her so well and beaten them with her pitching if she was. They also used their other pitcher the two times we played them in the Championship.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Pickens is an interesting study. She monkey butts a little, her brush is strictly with the tricep, and she hops over her front foot on the follow through.
Definitely! I dread the day a pitcher asks me to teach her how to pitch like Pickens…

May 18, 2019
Think it is more common that when a college crosses a pitcher off their list it's because they found a better one, better fit. Not because they just look at some numbers written on a player bio.
That is why they want to see players at their camps/in games.
100%. Plenty of D1 coaches watching girls in the high 50s and low 60s. They know exactly what it takes to succeed at the next level.

May 17, 2023
I got to watch one of the top 09 pitchers in Midwest this weekend in person. Had been noticing her in some of the bigger tourneys as her team doesn't lose much and she pitches most of their games. Just this Fall she has 200 Ks :oops:

Was interesting to this conversation because she is not a flame thrower. We had her consistently 58-59. But the late movement and accuracy to her pitches was very impressive.

May 18, 2019
I got to watch one of the top 09 pitchers in Midwest this weekend in person. Had been noticing her in some of the bigger tourneys as her team doesn't lose much and she pitches most of their games. Just this Fall she has 200 Ks :oops:

Was interesting to this conversation because she is not a flame thrower. We had her consistently 58-59. But the late movement and accuracy to her pitches was very impressive.
My daughter is a year older and precisely fit that description at that age. I'm convinced that spin and spots plus good but not necessarily elite speed is the key to success. The kid that has all 3 is truly the unicorn. The kid you describe will have at least a dozen D1 schools watching her closely by next year if she is at the right tournaments.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
My daughter is a year older and precisely fit that description at that age. I'm convinced that spin and spots plus good but not necessarily elite speed is the key to success. The kid that has all 3 is truly the unicorn. The kid you describe will have at least a dozen D1 schools watching her closely by next year if she is at the right tournaments.
If she doesn't blow out her arm. 200Ks means she's thrown a ton of innings this fall. If she's striking out two batters per inning, she's thrown 100 innings already. That's a lot for a 14-year-old.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00