Being a Runner~

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
This is the mentality I'm trying to instill. Any ball to the outfield is at least two bases unless I stop you or the defense does something to make you stop. Any ball in the infield where they're not making a play on you, round the base at least one step as you find the ball (we don't play at a high enough level where doing this is going to hurt us).

Can't tell you how many times we could've taken an extra base on an infield error but the runners run directly to a base and just stop. They completely shut down everything. And it's not laziness. It's like they're a computer who was programmed to advance one base and then they just stand there waiting for the next input instead of actually playing the game they're involved in.
DD's TB coach told the players. The only job the base coach really has is to be STOP Sign, otherwise you run like hell!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
As a runner,
While on first base I like to take a look at where the first baseman is playing and where the second baseman is playing.

Their distance to first base indicates how much farther i can take my lead off.

Especially if the first baseman is playing up toward home plate, and the defense is intending to have the second baseman try to come in from behind me/runner to cover first base...
It means the second baseman has to regularly play pretty darn close to first
OR cheat to be able to cover first. That amount of time it takes the second baseman to get to First allows me a little more room to take a lead off.
That and
Know runners body can get between the ball and the second baseman trying to cover first receiving a throw.
Because the second baseman has to come in from behind the runner to try and make the play at the bag.
For that reason
It can be difficult to have a second baseman cover a back pick at first.

As a catcher I know the timing of the second baseman would be crucial so I definitely pay attention to the second baseman while I'm a runner.
As a catcher I much prefer having first base stay back( closer to base)
to hold the runner closer to the base.
If the runner doesn't stay closer it's backpick time and the first baseman is already prepared for that quick pop time. In place in front of the play ( in front of the runner) and ready to make the tag.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
As a runner
Like to pay attention to what type of mechanics the catcher is using. And the type of mechanics the catcher is using with how wild or controlled the pitcher is.
What type of range ability does the catcher have. Are they limited to a small area behind the plate?

Look for things like
What is catcher's arm strength like.
Are they throwing from their knees on dirt and low pitches or are they dropping to their knees on dirt pitches and then trying to throw from their feet?
Because Knees to Feet can take more time to get the throw going.

Is the catcher on squishy legs and in the dirt a lot.
Does the catcher use their glove on dirt pitches.
Or do they drop down (squishy) and try to block all dirt pitches. Where the ball hits them and then they have to find ball and pick it up off of the dirt. (Look for that because I know that can add time to the catcher's pop time.)
More time for a runner to be safe.

Also look for whether or not catchers throwback pics. If they don't throw back pics can take a larger lead off.

(Catchers throwing backpicks tend to hold Runners closer to the bases.)

radness

Dec 13, 2019
As for running bases there are different paths and angles that can be applied.

As a runner I prefer a direct path to the next base and getting the angle upon approach of the base.

Allows me the opportunity to be closest in line path to the base if I need to slide at that base
And be able to make an adjustment if rounding the base.

Someone commented earlier as a runner don't be an out. Like that!
Try to be as direct to the base, as I can be, to be as quick as I can be.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
One rule I try to impose is ...

If OF catches the ball are you going to go to next base?

Yes, stay on your base
No, leadoff

I always told players if they didn't go before I yelled run that they were late already.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Is the catcher on squishy legs and in the dirt a lot.
Does the catcher use their glove on dirt pitches.
Or do they drop down (squishy) and try to block all dirt pitches. Where the ball hits them and then they have to find ball and pick it up off of the dirt. (Look for that because I know that can add time to the catcher's pop time.)
More time for a runner to be safe.

This reminded me of something: I'm working with my runners on going the instant they see the ball heading toward the dirt (or a high wild pitch that won't be caught). Our players have a tendency to wait to see the result before going, but that doesn't work on a decent catcher.

As soon as you see that ball out of the hand headed for the dirt, GO. At our level, very few catchers are going to pick the ball and make a strong, accurate throw often enough to make it a risk not worth taking.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
One rule I try to impose is ...

If OF catches the ball are you going to go to next base?

Yes, stay on your base
No, leadoff

I always told players if they didn't go before I yelled run that they were late already.

Do you account at all for difficulty of catch and quality of outfielder?

There are a lot of plays where I would want the runner to tag if we knew for sure it was going to be caught, but the right move is still to get a lead because she's not likely to catch it (sometimes they surprise you).

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
I'll speak as a player. I feel there is a lot more to being a base runner than there is to being a fielder or a hitter. But that's just me.

As a fielder, I'm reading the ball off the bat or I'm trying to read a bounce. As a catcher, I'm worrying about my pitcher I have in front of me keeping strikes looking like strikes and I'm looking to get her calls that are borderline. As a hitter, I'm trying to read what that pitcher has and to time my swing to what she may be throwing that day.

As a base runner, however, I'm trying to read everything about that pitcher. I'm reading her reactions. How long it's taking her to go through her windup. How fast she's throwing. What pitches she has that day that's working for her. And most importantly...whether or not I can safely run on her. Same as the defense. I have to read what each fielder is bringing that day. I have to read if I can get a larger lead on a pitcher or if I have to stay close to the bag. I also have to know what for arms the other fielders have as to whether to advance on a fly ball and if I can stay out of a double-play situation.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00